Protest Outside Tranquil After Teacher Beats Pupil

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!
N

Neo

GuardianMedia.jpg

A Morvant mother staged a one-man protest outside the Tranquillity Government Primary School at Stanmore Avenue in Port-of-Spain, yesterday hoping that she will get justice for her son.

The mother claims her nine-year-old son was assaulted by a teacher who beat her son with a whip, put him in a headlock and cuffed him in the head last week Friday.

The also brought a petition for other parents to sign as they visited the compound yesterday in a show of support.

Several parents continued to keep their children away from attending classes.

On Monday morning, members of the school staff met with the child’s parents and with parents of other students who saw the alleged incident.

In an interview yesterday, the disgruntled mother said: “It was a short work week I won’t stop until I get justice for my son. I have a petition and 11 parents signed.”

Her placards said: Stop the abuse of children we won’t stand for it and Have the teacher removed until investigations completed.

She said the teacher remains in classes since the incident and several children were staying in the auditorium.

“They need to remove the from the school so the children can operate in some normalcy. My son afraid to even come by the gate and is still at home. He does not want to come to school I told them I need counselling from my son and I have not gotten a response from the ministry and I don’t think I waiting on them it is that bad.

The irate parent was later joined by another parent whose daughter was an eyewitness to the event. That parent said his daughter will not attend classes until the teacher is removed.

“My daughter with me right now sitting down outside the school. She won’t attend until the teacher leaves or the principal place her (my daughter) in a different class. She still has to attend school but not with the fear of this teacher. To say she fear this teacher more than me upsetting,” he said.

When contacted, officials at the Ministry of Education said they were aware of the incident.

“The school supervision personnel visited the school and are conducting an investigation into the matter. A report was submitted already,” the official said.

Attempts made to contact T&T Unified Teachers’ Association president Lynsley Doodhai proved futile.

Back