Nepal Earthquake Controversy

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

LadyDeath

Senior Marketing Officer
Staff member
LV

The April 2015 Nepal earthquake (also known as the Gorkha earthquake)[SUP][/SUP][SUP][/SUP] killed more than 8,000 people and injured more than 19,000. It occurred at 11:56 NST on 25 April, with a magnitude of 7.8M[SUP][/SUP]or 8.1M[SUP][/SUP] and a maximum Mercalli Intensity of IX (Violent). Its epicenter was the village of Barpak, Gorkha district, and its hypocenter was at a depth of approximately 15 km (9.3 mi).[SUP]
[/SUP]
[SUP][/SUP] The earthquake triggered an avalanche on Mount Everest, killing at least 19,[SUP][/SUP] making it the deadliest day on the mountain in history.[SUP][/SUP] It triggered another huge avalanche in Langtang valley, where 250 were reported missing.

Hundreds of thousands of people were made homeless . Centuries-old buildings were destroyed at UNESCO World Heritage sites. Geophysicists and other experts had warned for decades that Nepal was vulnerable to a deadly earthquake, particularly because of its geology, urbanization, and architecture. Continued aftershocks occurred throughout Nepal within 15?20 minute intervals, with one shock reaching a magnitude of 6.7 on 26 April at 12:54:08 NST.[SUP][/SUP]The country also had a continued risk of landslides.[SUP][/SUP]

A second major earthquake occurred on 12 May 2015 at 12:35 NST with a moment magnitude of 7.3.[SUP][/SUP]The epicenter was near the Chinese border between the capital of Kathmandu and Mt. Everest.[SUP][/SUP]More than 80 people were killed and around 2,000 were injured by this aftershock.[SUP][/SUP]

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Some People are saying that Nepal's Earthquake was a message from God to stop all the senseless killing . Days before Nepal held their annual Animal Killing Festival where hundreds of thousands of animals are sacrificed in the name of religion.

"More than 250,000 animals are being lined up for slaughter as Nepal embarks on a two-day religious festival where buffalo, birds and goats are sacrificed to appease a Hindu goddess.

Millions of Hindus flock to the ceremony, which is held every five years at the temple of Gadhimai, the goddess of power, in Bariyarpur, Nepal, near the Indian border.
The last time the festival was held, in 2009, more than 250,000 animals were killed, according to animal rights organisation PETA, who is campaigning to put a stop to the practice. " via dailymail

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
2392A54900000578-2852739-image-21_1417181809226.jpg

i would think its very devastating.....and to say nepal experienced two bad earthquakes and we here in trinidad on one of the major faults......say prayers and hope we experience nothing like that.......lol ppl will call anything an act of god i say it mother nature trying to repair herself from the human activities

My contact in the area of Nepal had sent me a video. It focused on a pool which shook so violently during the earthquake just outside of Nepal that it emptied itself as if someone was shaking a bowl within their hands. Quite a devastating thing to happen and we are not very far off a fault line either...

I agree with grim that it may be mother nature's consequences. How much can we drill and slash & burn, replacing life giving forests with mines and dumps and work yards and buildings before we get the message? It might just be that I've gotten more aware, but I believe natural disasters have become more frequent and devastating. It is very easy to tie this in with all our man made advancements at the cost of the planet's well-being.

Whatever the official reasoning may be, I do not believe that it is a divine reprimand. It is good, however, that these terrible human activities are being brought to light. I hope this will encourage the people who are in influential positions to put a stop to these senseless killings, regardless of what they believe. My heart goes out to those affected, regardless of what they did and didn't do. No one should have to experience such tragedy and loss.

Grim has a point. Not sure how I missed that originally. Its true, people do lots of stupid things that arent positive for the environment and then claim all in the name of God or its an act for nature etc...

Its a fun way to look at it as repayment for all the wrongs but it's also scary.

When Haiti had the big earthquake, the world said it was an act of God for all the Obeah/Black Magic they did .

Now when Nepal had the earthquake, the world is saying that's repayment for the Senseless killings of animals. ( The animals are killed and burnt ..they are not eaten )

I am not happy at all that these things are happening to poverty stricken countries. What if an Earthquake strikes America? what will the world say then?

Earthquakes do strike America. The west coast is famous for natural disasters, especially earthquakes and forest fires, and lets not forget about hurricanes like Sandy, Katrina, etc. that have done terrible damage to other parts of the country.

I think developed countries are more likely to seek, accept, and explain things scientifically and logically. Under-developed countries tend to claim divine justification.

I think it's all a matter of perspective. I've heard the saying that God is a Trini, excusing us from being spared from many natural disasters that have affected neighboring countries. It has been explained to us over and over why these hurricanes etc evade us and the earthquakes that we have experienced to date prove we are not the apple of a deity's eye but that in fact, our geological location is responsible, just as is the case with every country affected or spared by a natural disaster. If we were to be affected by such tragedies based on our nation's sin-meter, I think Trinidad would have been destroyed long time, politicians all going first.

Sorry i meant what if a huge earthquake affected america?

I think they plan more for emergencies and have all their saftey codes up to date thats why they are prepared for when an earthquake strikes

Depends on what your definition of a huge earthquake is.

Haiti Jan. 2010, magnitude 7.0 [Source: personal memory]
Nepal Apr. 2015, magnitude 7.8 [Source: your OP]
*U.S.: Alaska Nov. 2003, magnitude 7.8 [Source: see more earthquakes measuring 7.3 and over in U.S. history]
*U.S.: Alaska Mar. 1964, magnitude 9.2 Devastation included tsunamis, liquefaction, ground fissures, avalanches, a resculpted coastline, earth rising as high as 30 feet in some areas, and underwater landslides. 11 aftershocks with a magnitude over 6.2 were recorded. This remains the most powerful earthquake to strike North America and the second largest earthquake ever measured. This affected many states along the west coast, including deaths from the resulting tsunamis in Oregon and California. [Source]

I think the media is largely responsible for our perceptions. This is why the Charlie Hebdo shooting led to an international uproar and global walks in solidarity while many people still ignore the lives that continue to be taken and ruined by Boko Harem in Nigeria. The news headlines aren't the only or the biggest news, it is just what the media perceives as most important because it will sell more IMO.

This is so hard to imagine that some people can still be out there waiting on relief aid due to the Nepal terrain.

Shelter materials and food aid have been slow to reach some areas, and many Nepalese have complained that the government is not doing enough to help those affected.

As aftershocks continue to be felt, thousands of people are still living in make-shift tents and there are fears these will not survive the summer monsoon, which is due to start next month.
There are also fears the rainy season will bring further landslides and the threat of disease.
The World Food Programme described its response to the earthquake as "one of our most complex operations" due to Nepal's difficult terrain.
Richard Ragan, WFP Emergency Co-ordinator, said the organisation had provided food for 1.8 million people in the hardest-to-reach locations since the disaster struck.

Back