Need Some Help

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

nirtime

LV

Hello, I have an Acer S3-391 that was bought new. Ever since having the ultrabook it has always suffered major major performance issues. I cannot watch 1080p youtube videos without it skipping and stuttering, it worsens if I leave a video to play and browse other tabs. Sometimes the system will slow down a lot doing any kind of moderately intense tasks. If Photoshop is open there may be times when a fall in performance is felt. I never had this kind of issue even on my old Turion x2 with far less ram and troublesome Windows Vista.

S3-391 specs:
13.3" Ultrabook form factor
i3-2377m
4gb ddr3
factory installed SSHD 20gb solid state with 300gb hdd. Swapped for Intel Pro series 256gb SSD.

After upgrading to the SSD i changed to a custom version of windows 7 which I have ran very successfully for over 5 years on many systems ranging from the old Pentium D 820 to an i7-3770 and where the regular unoptimzied windows 7 would lag or begin to show performance drop outs, this custom version never did. I am very surprised that I have an issue like this as I always believed the 2377m was faster than the first generation mobile i5 cpus which were quite decent and faster than the old p8700.

Does anybody have any clue what is going on? It isn't a virus problem because it has shown the same symptoms with a fresh windows 7 after doing the SSD. The lag and stutter was far worse prior to upgrading to the SSD.

I used to have a Vaio FW140E with a p8700 Core 2 Duo cpu before this and never once had a problem doing the same things. The Vaio also felt much faster than the s3-391.

I'm about frustrated with this problem because I really use the ultrabook for a lot of media consumption as well the occasional creation or two.

to me the i3 have been under performing from when i used them especially with age......does the cpu retain normal temperature right through??? but i think its a built in problem with the pc itself as i have used a vaio with i3 on youtube and was like wdf not the performance i was expecting......another thing how does it run from a clean install with nothing at all on it??

Yes when I swapped to the SSD I did a clean install opting not to clone any disks. It was just barely improved due to the SSD but otherwise exactly the same. Secondly, temperatures are normal, within spec.

I really long to have my old Vaio back, it was vastly superior to this S3-391 in all ways despite having older and slower hardware.

Also I don't find the i3s to underperform. I've used a number of systems in the past with mobile i3s including a first gen and none of them perform as slow overall as mine has. I've even used an Asus Ultrabook with the same i3-2377m and it doesn't lag and stutter like mine does.

I suppose I'll just wait to see what goes bad/breaks in time, be it one month or two years and when that time comes I'll upgrade to a proper mid-spec i5 with a dedicated gpu.

Lol better you than me, I would ah go insane trying to solve it if it was me yes

Last edited:
Back