More to driving than turning a key

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

nirtime

LV

I am of the opinion that there are a lot of drivers who believe that owning and using a motor vehicle simply involves getting in and turning the key and off they go. These people in my opinion are equally as hazardous on the road as those who drive badly. My rational is that if they neglect to check anything on the car, they can experience: brake failures, tyre blowouts, engine cut offs in the most odd times and cause major accidents.
Yes some of them do visit the mechanic regularly but often times mechanics themselves don't always tell owners what they need to know.

Do you think this is true? Do you believe that they pose an equal threat to their own and other motorist's safety just as much as bad drivers? Should every car owner read the owner's manual that comes with the car?

I agree with what you said and it is true. I believe that if you own a car or are planning to own one you need general knowledge on how it works alongside basic troubleshooting. The more you know about your car and how it works, the better for your safety and other drivers on the road.The people who don't know anything or those who just "get in and drive" are also targets to mechanics that have very little integrity. These types would fix only the problem you told them about. They may check everything else and know that there are parts very close to being broken, yet they will not say so because they would want you to come back again and spend more money.

"My rational is that if they neglect to check anything on the car, they can experience: brake failures, tyre blowouts, engine cut offs in the most odd times and cause major accidents." I also believe if those types of drivers experience something like that on the highway or on the main road they may not be experienced enough to know what course of action should be taken and this may cause a fatal accident. The sad thing is, the number of drivers who are like that is increasing everyday. Watch yourself, the road wars are coming.

Lorenzo im unsure about coming road wars since for just flashing your high beam at someone driving with theirs on full time, they want to run you off the road. The road wars are already here.

That is why this forum exists to begin with, to fill drivers and the like with all they need to know about operating a motor vehicle.

Its just very unfortunate that no part of the driving exam really focuses on any form of vehicular inspection prior to driving which is where the awareness starts for the less mechanically inclined or the more average consumer.

That's a good point. If basic mechanics were a part of licensing (through exams as well as part of driving school lessons), drivers would be forced to learn this information which could potentially save lives and many inconveniences on the roads.

That's a good point. If basic mechanics were a part of licensing (through exams as well as part of driving school lessons), drivers would be forced to learn this information which could potentially save lives and many inconveniences on the roads.

A lot of people don't even know how to change a spare tyre let alone deal with blow outs. Vehicle control changes and becomes unpredictable during such circumstances, the same way it feels going at high rated speeds as a new, inexperienced driver. Hence the amount of accidents.

Basic checks and maintenance for those who "bother" to do it have saved lives. Theres too many misconceptions about the basics with a lot of drivers. A simple thing like checking tyre pressure people don't know how to do or say oh when the tyre lookin soft well it need pressure. The fact is, by the time your tyres look soft, they're almost to 20psi which is 10 psi lower than the recommended pressure for the tyres on any vehicle I have had the pleasure to drive.
I've also driven behind people who had no brake lights in working order what so ever. In the odd instance where someone isn't paying attention or driving too closely behind, that can be a serious problem.

So yes, it should be a mandatory part of the driving course and it should not be a set of theory to learn either, it should be done on a practical basis as it would be done by the driver in real life.

Yes, practical application is key with driving! I wish driving schools incorporated this because not everyone has the savvy older relative or friend to teach them and the internet can only get you so far in real life. It needs to be part of the regulations but most importantly, there should be a practical assessment for these skills as well, and altogether with existing, guidelines, that should determine whether a person gets their license or not (and not who they can bribe or who their friend is).

You're right about the internet. Theres too much conflicting information all over.

We can only provide these solutions amongst ourselves and thats a lot more people who are now aware of what they need to do.

Yeah i agree with you that it is more to driving than turning a key.I am a mechanic by profession and know well about these stats because i spend a lot of time in vehicles.

Back