Mayaro Father Of 2 Killed

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!
A

alexk

Amy%20Beharry.jpg

A Mayaro father of two was shot and killed by two masked men at his Stone Bright Village, Mayaro home on Sunday night.

Police said just before 8 pm, Anthony Sonny, 28, was relaxing on the steps of his unfinished house after cutlassing a piece of land when the two armed and masked men approached him and asked who owned the land he occupied.

Sonny said he was the owner and one of the men opened fire on him while the other gunman kept watch. Sonny was reportedly initially hit five times in the upper body and head. After he fell, the shooter walked close to him and shot him in the back of his head.

When T&T Guardian visited the home yesterday, family members and villagers were making arrangements for a wake. Villagers were also streaming into the home of Sonny’s mother and extending condolences to the family.

His wife Amy Beharry, who could not control her tears, said they were extremely traumatised by the incident.

“I have to live for the rest of my life with my two disturbed children,” she said.

The couple had two children, a boy, 10 and 19-months-old girl.

Beharry said her daughter asked for her father as soon as she woke from sleep.

“I don’t know how to handle this, I am hurting as well as my children. Look at my son over there and see how he is hurting,” she cried.

“My husband and myself had been living together for 11 years we have been moving from house to house and he worked hard to start a house for us to be happy and look what happen?

“I thought all my house worries over, but now is more worries, because my husband was the sole breadwinner of the house. I am unemployed and have two children to bring up. What must I do now?”

Beharry described her husband as loving, kind and generous, noting he did his best to make his family happy. She urged killers to put down their guns and do something positive for the society.

Sonny’s mother, Bernadette Gomez, said she was sitting in her home when she heard two loud explosions. She said she thought it was firecrackers, but when she came out to look her husband, who was putting garbage outside, told her Anthony had just been shot.

“I took my cellphone and called Sonny’s home, which is close by and all I heard was crying, Oh God! They killed Sonny ... Sonny was my only son, he was respectful and always willing to help people in trouble. I can’t believe they killed my child.”

Police cordoned off the crime scene area to allow CSI and Homicide officers to search for evidence. District Medical Officer Dr Reddy viewed the body and ordered its removal to Sangre Grande mortuary, before it was taken to the Forensic Sciences Centre, St James, for an autopsy.

Visiting the scene were ASP Williams, Insp Lutchman, Sgt Harper, of the Mayaro CID and Cpl Ramsahai, PCs Denoon and Gillard of Homicide Region II, Arouca. Cpl Ramsahai is investigating.

RALPH BANWARIE

Back