Major Fire!

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

LadyDeath

Senior Marketing Officer
Staff member
LV

. Thank god these men only sustained little injuries compared to what could of happen in a matter of mines if this wasnt contained in time. lives are really loosing in trini for little causes and its nice to hear that these two were saved

THERE was traffic chaos along the East-West Corridor yesterday, after a diesel fuel tanker exploded during an accident along the Churchill Roosevelt Highway near the Maximum Security Prison in Arouca.

The driver of the truck, 41-year-old Andre Rodriguez, of Freeport Mission Road, Preysal, remained warded at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex in Mt Hope, suffering from burns about the body. The incident occurred around 8.55 a.m. and prisons officers from the MSP quickly arrived at the scene to give assistance.

Anil Matadin, the driver of a tractor involved in a collision with the gas tanker, considered himself and Rodriguez lucky to be alive following the accident.

Matadin, 31, said he sustained a laceration to the head and shoulder after his head struck a pole in the tractor during the collision. He said at the time of the incident, he was proceeding east when his vehicle was struck. He said the events which followed happened quickly.

Said Matadin, "I not too sure what had hit me at the time, but with the speed he was going, he hooked me from the back and then dragged me and then flipped and then let me go and skate in front of me, and then burst into flames before crashing at the side of the road and it was facing the other way (west).

After the officers left, however, the fire reignited around 11 a.m., causing panic among motorists who were using the thoroughfare after it was deemed safe and reopened. Thick plumes of smoke polluted the air again, obscuring the view of many motorists.

Vehicles were eventually stopped by police and the highway was closed off for a second time. The first appliance arrived 45 minutes later and the fire was eventually extinguished.

Glen Roberts, Divisional Manager of Production and Distribution at the National Petroleum Company of Trinidad and Tobago (NP), arrived at the scene and told the media the tanker belonged to a contractor (VKD Contractors). The tanker was transporting fuel to a gas station in the Arima district when the incident occurred.

"We are thankful that so far there has not been any loss of life. We understand that the driver of the truck did receive some burns," Roberts said., adding NP stands ready to provide whatever assistance necessary to assist the driver in his recovery.

like some kinda hollywood movie! that's messed up!

I remember in St James somone drive off and busrt the gas hose! :Blink: it was mad lol. see people fraid to pass near the station with all the gas pouring out, :rolleyes: they shut it down from the inside, some safety vale or sometihing.

Yep people now have to be cautious of their lives especially on the Uriah Buttler Highway where the lane to go south has cuts in them from all the digging..if a vehicle gets hooks on that cut it could lead them off the road

MAJOR FIREE wrecked homes of Dow village Couva disrupting the xmas spirits of many families, basic necessities and also lost their homes completely..due to STUPID A$$**** Who bombed some house, never thought of the consequences and caused disaster upon many neighbours here's the story

Sixteen people from Dow Village, California, were displaced yesterday morning, after four men firebombed a wooden house in the community. Two houses were destroyed and five bedrooms at two other houses were gutted.

Tony Beharry, whose family of five lost three bedrooms at their home, said the men came looking for a neighbour who had been involved in an altercation with another man on Saturday.

"He stabbed a man and they threatened to come back for him, but like they come back the same night but he wasn't there because the police locked him up," Beharry said.

Beharry said he was awakened by a noise around 2 a.m., looked outside and saw four masked men ransacking the neighbour's house. Two of the men were inside and two were outside, breaking and throwing things.

"I woke up my girlfriend and told her what was happening. They were pelting things all over the house. Three people living there, but only the lady was in the house and she ran through the back door and escaped," he said.

"I run outside but when I watch, I see three men with blade in their hands so I run back inside but like they had already thrown the gas because the fellahs and them pelt a flambeau inside the woman car and light the mattress afire inside of the house and then they run out the road. I called the fireman over the road and they called the fire brigade."

Vishnu Ramkilawan said two bedrooms in his house were completely destroyed, as well as the seats in his boat that was in front of his house.

"I was asleep when my wife, who smelled the smoke, woke me up. I got up and saw my boat, which had 32 gallons of fuel in it, smoking, so I made sure and pulled it out of the yard and parked it in the road as well as the two vehicles I had parked in the yard and got everyone out."

He said the fire jumped from one house to the next, eventually reaching his home, but the Fire Service responded quickly and was able to save the rest of the house.

"The most expensive things we lost were the computers but we also lost all of our clothes and personal belongings. The Minister, Rudy Indarsingh, visited us and he promised to get us mattresses and foodstuff."

Michelle Myers also lost her home, which was located behind the house where the fire started.

"My daughter and I were asleep, when we were awakened by crackling glass. When I got up and looked through my window, the entire front house was on fire. So my daughter and I ran through the back and around the neighbour's house to escape the fire and we went and stand up in the road," Myers said.

"What really hurt me is that I had already bought everything for Christmas—a new stove, a new washing machine and a computer for my daughter who is ten... first day she played with it was yesterday. I don't know what we are going to do now because we have lost everything."

Back