Looking For A Vehicle To Buy

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

LadyDeath

Senior Marketing Officer
Staff member
LV

Hey guys i am currently deciding on a vehicle to buy this year. I work very close to home and use my car mostly on weekends and not very far. However, sometimes during the week, my family will borrow it do errands.

I am not looking for an Euro Vehicle as parts are very expensive and hard to find as i had this experience with my VW Bora. I am looking for a vehicle i can pay out for as fast as possible. I am looking for a car preferably RORO that has good performance, mileage and parts are available in Trinidad. Especially RESALE VALUE And What Are Their Known Problems? Can you give me some honest advice?

Here are some of the vehicles i am looking at but i am very puzzled as to which one i should make up my mind on:

1. Mitsubishi Galant Fortis
2. Mazda 6
3. Mazda 3 2009 ( maybe a black so it would not smile so much lol )
4. Nissan Dualis
5. Subaru Legacy Wagon GT

my two cents: you only have high maintenance cars on your list, the subaru tops it. the cheapest cars to maintain on your list are the fortis and mazda 3, and still they're expensive. the bora spoiled you. cheapest to bring in is the mazda 3 as the others check in at 90k and over ( i'm also looking at roro cars for next year so i'm pricing them now so that i know what to work towards). hope this helps

AnthoneMorris sums it up nicely.
Subaru is a very high maintenance car especially since the Legacy can only use premium fuel.

The Mazda 3 and Fortis are the two best options imo. I dont really hear people complaining about the Mitsubishi at all. Be it parts or maintenance.

You can probably speak to people who have 09+ Mazda 3s and see what they may say but ill always hold it in mind that its a foreign used car and as such you should factor part prices and availability high up on the list. If it smiles that can be modified to look much better lol.

I would chose the legacy gt but subaru parts are always high....AnthoneMorris sums it up really well, IMO if not the legacy take the lancer it went from 08 to 15 with the same body shape so parts galore and it was also sold in the US so eBay sure to have goods for it My 2ents

I would chose the legacy gt but subaru parts are always high....AnthoneMorris sums it up really well, IMO if not the legacy take the lancer it went from 08 to 15 with the same body shape so parts galore and it was also sold in the US so eBay sure to have goods for it My 2ents

Tons of acccessories and parts available online for it.

Legacy is cool but the gas bill may be too high.

Tons of acccessories and parts available online for it.

Legacy is cool but the gas bill may be too high.

Yea depending on her driving habits and right the gt has a turbo in it so the gas bill may be high.....wrt to the lancer once eBay have parts and since the car was available in the US you should be able to find parts with ease... the nissan dualis aka the qashqai lol i rode in one rides nice dual ac steering controls a nice vehicle.. trunk space small extremely small as for parts for it should be easy to come across as there is the motorist which stock most nissan parts as far as i know

If i have to choose from these cars so i choose Mazda 6 from these cars because i know well about the Mazda 6 engine and its efficiency and its mileage is also very good.

Thank You guys so much . I will elminate the Subaru off the list .. I drive very hard so that's something i need to consider when i make my choice.
Want to check out the Mazdas and Dualis before i make my choice ..

Does the Mitsubishi Galant take super or premium?

Yea depending on her driving habits and right the gt has a turbo in it so the gas bill may be high.....wrt to the lancer once eBay have parts and since the car was available in the US you should be able to find parts with ease... the nissan dualis aka the qashqai lol i rode in one rides nice dual ac steering controls a nice vehicle.. trunk space small extremely small as for parts for it should be easy to come across as there is the motorist which stock most nissan parts as far as i know

The Dualis has a lot of features and what not but its just something that I never really paid attention to lol. I believe it carries the MR20DE which is a really popular and well known Nissan engine that is used in even the newer model Qashqai and X-Trail so its an engine with an abundance of parts and being Nissan it'll be easy to find in Trinidad.

I'm assuming the rest of it is somewhat small too as it is not a very long or wide vehicle, its good for one or two people and some stuff in the back with the seat folded down depending on how much space there really is in the trunk.

Is the Fortis a 1.6(4A92) or a 1.8(4B10)?

Last edited:
Fortis has an anti knock system that allows for down to 93 Ron. So it can take super but it comes recommended for premium.

Made an error earlier. For emergency purposes only it goes down to 90 Ron. Prolonged use will eventually lead to pinging and damage. In actuality it needs 97 Ron to work as designed.

So I don't know your budget, but just a tip. If a roro vehicle crosses 100k might as well go new. May take a bit longer to pay off but it's a new car so no worries at all unless it's manufacturer defects.

The Dualis has a lot of features and what not but its just something that I never really paid attention to lol. I believe it carries the MR20DE which is a really popular and well known Nissan engine that is used in even the newer model Qashqai and X-Trail so its an engine with an abundance of parts and being Nissan it'll be easy to find in Trinidad.

I'm assuming the rest of it is somewhat small too as it is not a very long or wide vehicle, its good for one or two people and some stuff in the back with the seat folded down depending on how much space there really is in the trunk.

Is the Fortis a 1.6(4A92) or a 1.8(4B10)?

the fortis comes with the paddle shifters from what ive seen so it will be the 2.0L engine same as the lancer gt

Ok Fortis uses the 4b11 N/A.Not bad but 97 RON is ridiculous.... not even premium offers 97.

Imo that strikes out the Fortis. It makes no sense to buy a car which we cannot support locally.

Also agree with Anthonemorris, if it goes above 100k a new car would be better despite paying a bit longer. In the duration of ownership it may cost less to maintain and probably only require routine maintenance.

^^^Think ive seen the fortis going from around 110 cant remember....but yea if a person has the money best they go new one time, because with a foreign used car no1 knows how the previous owner drove it/treated it......i thought thr 2.0L gt ran on premium fine best bet is to find a manual for the car you choose to buy to see the octane rating the engine can take

The reason for the high octane level is because the cars come standard with the mivec system. My gf got her car. The ex lancer. 1.6 mivec. Anti knock for lower octane fuels is a standard feature on all the cars. In the manual 97 is recommended but the closest we have is 95 so it works. We tried super but the performance wasn't as good. Neither the mileage.

No doubt every car in the mentioning models have their own specification and efficiency but it also depends upon the taste of the person who will buy it.

Back