Laws with regard to being Towed

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

nirtime

LV

Hey all, after browsing through the towing thread here, I am curious: Where can I access the laws with regards to towing?

Can an illegal tow be fought with photo and or video evidence?

I was almost towed once in Port Of Spain whilst being legally parked alongside the road and ever since I've been curious to know what can be done if such were to occur. Bear in mind, I was sitting in the car with the engine running and the stereo was quite loud back then so I'm almost certain they would have heard it too.

Motor Vehicles and Road Traffic Act Chapter 48:50 of the Laws of Trinidad and Tobago provides at s108 (1):

“Where a vehicle is parked in contravention of any provisions of this Act or of any Regulations or Orders made there under, or is left on any road in such a manner that it is likely to cause any obstruction to persons lawfully using any such road, any member of the Police Service may:

(a) Require the driver or other person in control or in charge thereof to remove it or cause it to be removed and any person who fails to comply with any such requirement is liable to a fine of three hundred dollars or to imprisonment for three months.

(b) If the driver or other person in control or in charge of such vehicle cannot be found or refuses to remove it when required to do so, remove such vehicle or arrange for it to be removed from the place in which it is parked to a place of safe custody either by towing or driving the vehicle or in such other manner as he may think necessary.”

I believe once you have video evidence or some form of media evidence of where your vehicle was parked before it was wrecked you can have a case, the most senior officer in the wrecking site or the superintendent of the station will review it and make a judgement to release it .

That is very helpful, thanks so much admin!

One question, I noticed in the other towing thread you spoke about the presence of an officer in blue and grey. Suppose this officer isn't present, can you still be towed legally?

No vehicle shall be wrecked with out the instructions from a police officer in uniform, If their is not any police offer present then they are wrecking your vehicle illegally.

This is a great question. I'm guessing any media evidence will need to be timestamped to prove it was taken before the towing?

Also, what about personal property? I see a lot of private residences with signs indicating that people parking on or blocking their property will be towed at their own expense, though I've never seen any of them actually take action. Would homeowners be within their legal rights to have "violators" towed if they got the required police officer on the scene? If so, are they all required to have a sign warning of this?

Yes any vehicle blocking gateways of persons homes where the owners are unable to to have access to can call upon the police to have the vehicle wrecked at the violating vehicle's owner expense.
Also no thing must be noted that any video footage will not be admissible in the court of law in Trinidad and Tobago, and yes time stamps is a must.

No vehicle shall be wrecked with out the instructions from a police officer in uniform, If their is not any police offer present then they are wrecking your vehicle illegally.

Now that I know that I feel confident to act accordingly and should I ever be victim to a tow in which I am present and there is no officer, I will gladly record the scenario or probably even get hyped and follow v2nr and rip down the chains and come straight off the boom. (Thats least likely to occur but would be awesome for a video)

a friend of mine who just happens to be ocd about his car usually takes pics of his car wherever he parks so he can compare the condition before and after (i did say ocd). came back and found his car missing and it was wrecked. had photo evidence of it being legally parked in a parking zone, more than 9ft from any corner and drawn to the side as far as physically possible. all they could have done was give him his car. the police officer who wrecked his car said he was 5ft from the corner and illegally parked. so just be careful, as they see a nice car and will tow it because they assume the owner loaded

i am so happy that you guys posted this : Here's a story that was on the newspapers today

The Trinidad and Tobago Police service wishes to remind the public that the role of the Police is to enforce all applicable laws of Trinidad and Tobago. Under the law governing traffic violations, Police Officers are authorised to take certain action against persons in cases of a breach.

In this regard, the public is hereby reminded, that if a vehicle is parked in contravention of traffic signs; and obstructs the visibility or free flow of traffic, this can lead to a safety hazard and the Police is authorised to have the vehicle removed/towed.

As it relates to the wrecking of vehicles, the law is quite clear on the circumstances under which a vehicle can be wrecked.

Section 108 – (1) of the Motor Vehicle and Road Traffic Act Chapter 48:50 refer:

Where a vehicle is parked in contravention of any provisions of the Road Traffic Act 48:50 or any Regulations, example, where there is a breach of a No parking sign, or Orders made thereunder, or is left on any road in a manner that it is likely to cause any obstruction to persons lawfully using any such road, any member of the Police Service may:

• Require the driver or other person in control or in charge thereof, to remove it or cause it to be removed, and any person who fails to comply with any such requirement is liable to a fine of three hundred dollars or to imprisonment for three months
The law further states:

• If the driver or other person in control or in charge of such vehicle cannot be found or refuses to remove the vehicle when required to do so, the Police is authorised to remove such vehicle or arrange for it to be removed from the place in which it is parked, to a place of safe custody, either by towing or driving the vehicle or in such other manner, as he may think necessary.

Before a vehicle is removed for a breach of any traffic law , Operational Procedures of the TTPS, require the Police Officer to:
(i) Make brief enquiries in the immediate vicinity in an effort to locate the driver; this of course, is within a reasonable time and distance.
(ii) If the driver is not found, the Police officer can have the vehicle towed to a designated area.
(iii) If the driver is found, the officer can prefer the relevant charge(s) against the driver for the offence committed and request that the vehicle be removed. If the driver refuses, the vehicle can be impounded.

Where a vehicle has been “hooked up or is in the actual process of being hooked up” to a wrecker, but the vehicle has not been removed, from where it was parked; and the driver or person in control of the vehicle simultaneously appears and claims the vehicle, the police officer shall:

(i) Release the vehicle to the driver or person claiming the vehicle;
(ii) Issue a ticket(s) for the offence(s) committed; or
(iii) Prosecute the driver or person in charge of the vehicle for any offences detected.

The TTPS has noted with concern the unacceptable practice of persons, who have parked their vehicles in contravention of traffic signs or regulations; and where the Police proceed to have the said vehicle towed, the driver resorting to entering the vehicle, whilst the Police are in the lawful execution of their duty; and whilst the vehicle is in motion.

This practice can result in serious injury to persons; and may amount to the offence of, Obstructing a Police Officer whilst in the execution of his duty, according to Section 59 of the Police Service Act 2006(As amended). Persons found in contravention of the law where this is concerned, are liable, on summary conviction, to a fine of $10,000.00 and to imprisonment of 2 years.

In addition:
Section 4(1) of the Criminal Law act 10:04 authorises a person ‘to use such force as is reasonable, in the circumstances, in the prevention of crime, or in effecting or assisting in the lawful arrest of offenders or suspected offenders or of persons unlawfully at large.

If on the other hand, Police Officers whilst in the execution of their duties are perceived to have abused their authority or to have used excessive force, than is necessary in the circumstances, persons are therefore advised of their right to immediately lodge a report and the matter would be thoroughly investigated.

Again, we are kindly asking members of the public to co-operate with us in ensuring that we make every place in Trinidad and Tobago safe.

Quite an informative read there LadyDeath, good post!

The burning question I have is what about damages? Suppose they tow an awd vehicle thinking it was a rwd or a fwd and burn up one of the diff's?
What if they hit the boom on someone's bumper while attempting to reach under the car?

Also that's a good way to see it AnthoneMorris, they probably feel that some people have a lot of Money to give away to them so they illegally wreck people.

They are responsible or so i've heard. If you are towing a person's car and their bumper happen to rip off the police are liable. Can someone verify this for us ?

Thanks for the info! This will come in quite handy as a resourceful point for those of us who were unsure, hopefully attracting more members!

Laws Governing Traffic Violations - Wrecking of Vehicles

The Trinidad and Tobago Police service wishes to remind the public that the role of the Police is to enforce all applicable laws of Trinidad and Tobago. Under the law governing traffic violations, Police Officers are authorized to take certain action against persons in cases of a breach.

In this regard, the public is hereby reminded, that if a vehicle is parked in contravention of traffic signs; and obstructs the visibility or free flow of traffic, this can lead to a safety hazard and the Police is authorized to have the vehicle removed/towed.

As it relates to the wrecking of vehicles, the law is quite clear on the circumstances under which a vehicle can be wrecked.

Section 108 – (1) of the Motor Vehicle and Road Traffic Act Chapter 48:50 refer:
Where a vehicle is parked in contravention of any provisions of the Road Traffic Act 48:50 or any Regulations, example, where there is a breach of a No parking sign, or Orders made thereunder, or is left on any road in a manner that it is likely to cause any obstruction to persons lawfully using any such road, any member of the Police Service may:

• Require the driver or other person in control or in charge thereof, to remove it or cause it to be removed, and any person who fails to comply with any such requirement is liable to a fine of three hundred dollars or to imprisonment for three months
The law further states:

• If the driver or other person in control or in charge of such vehicle cannot be found or refuses to remove the vehicle when required to do so, the Police is authorised to remove such vehicle or arrange for it to be removed from the place in which it is parked, to a place of safe custody, either by towing or driving the vehicle or in such other manner, as he may think necessary.

Before a vehicle is removed for a breach of any traffic law , Operational Procedures of the TTPS, require the Police Officer to:
(i) Make brief enquiries in the immediate vicinity in an effort to locate the driver; this of course, is within a reasonable time and distance.
(ii) If the driver is not found, the Police officer can have the vehicle towed to a designated area.
(iii) If the driver is found, the officer can prefer the relevant charge(s) against the driver for the offence committed and request that the vehicle be removed. If the driver refuses, the vehicle can be impounded.

Where a vehicle has been “hooked up or is in the actual process of being hooked up” to a wrecker, but the vehicle has not been removed, from where it was parked; and the driver or person in control of the vehicle simultaneously appears and claims the vehicle, the police officer shall:

(i) Release the vehicle to the driver or person claiming the vehicle;
(ii) Issue a ticket(s) for the offense(s) committed; or

(iii) Prosecute the driver or person in charge of the vehicle for any offenses detected.

The TTPS has noted with concern the unacceptable practice of persons, who have parked their vehicles in contravention of traffic signs or regulations; and where the Police proceed to have the said vehicle towed, the driver resorting to entering the vehicle, whilst the Police are in the lawful execution of their duty; and whilst the vehicle is in motion.

This practice can result in serious injury to persons; and may amount to the offence of, Obstructing a Police Officer whilst in the execution of his duty, according to Section 59 of the Police Service Act 2006(As amended). Persons found in contravention of the law where this is concerned, are liable, on summary conviction, to a fine of $10,000.00 and to imprisonment of 2 years.

In addition:
Section 4(1) of the Criminal Law act 10:04 authorities a person ‘to use such force as is reasonable, in the circumstances, in the prevention of crime, or in effecting or assisting in the lawful arrest of offenders or suspected offenders or of persons unlawfully at large.

If on the other hand, Police Officers whilst in the execution of their duties are perceived to have abused their authority or to have used excessive force, than is necessary in the circumstances, persons are therefore advised of their right to immediately lodge a report and the matter would be thoroughly investigated.

Again, we are kindly asking members of the public to co-operate with us in ensuring that we make every place in Trinidad and Tobago safe.

Taken from The TTPS Page

Yeah its really very nice to know about the whole story of the news paper and these laws regardance in a perfect way.I like it so much because i help me a lot.

A friend of mine states on his fb page today that his car was jacked up - while he in the car the whole time. The police officer threatened to arrest him if he didn't come out the car. Given the choice of a $500 fine vs a weekend in jail (plus the $500 fine anyway). he got out the car after it was jacked up.

You'd think the Charlotte street incident would have sensitized the officers on duty to their conduct.

i wish to point out that "operational procedures" does not equate to "the law". The police don't have to follow "operational procedures".

You see most people don't take the necessary legal action and so the police realise this and continue to do as they please. I still think that is absurd and action should be taken against something like that.

Nice to know about this useful factor of traffic chapter.Its really very useful for me to understand these acts in a better way.

Back