Keyless Ignition - Push Button Start

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

LadyDeath

Senior Marketing Officer
Staff member
LV

What's your thoughts on the new modern Keyless Ignition

According to Digital Guard Dog Website -Intelligent Push Button Start systems completely eliminates your vehicle ignition switch and lets you securely operate your vehicle with just the push of a button!
There is a start and stop engine button. When you come into contact with the car, and seated with keys inside the car, it can be started.

Cars like the Kia Optima has been fully equipped with the engine start and stop button. When the car shuts down, the mirrors also close in and as soon as you walk back to the car, it automatically opens back.
The keys also have to be in the vehicle to start the car. If you park and leave the car running without the keys, it sends of a signal to keep the keys in the car. Smart huh?

What's your take on this? Do you see this as being a future custom in cars ?

H49700270a%20WRX%20STI%20Push%20Button%20Start%20System.jpg

I did saw this -

When the car shuts down, the mirrors also close in and as soon as you walk back to the car, it automatically opens back.
The keys also have to be in the vehicle to start the car. If you park and leave the car running without the keys, it sends of a signal to keep the keys in the car.

on my soon to be brother in law's Kia Optima, these are very cool features but to what use i must say. I do find its cool but alot of people are boasting about these features and i don't get how useful they. How hard is it for one to turn the key in a ignition to start a car and press a button to open the side mirrors.

To be honest, I just find this is a stigma attached to make you feel like its a racing custom, most if not all of the modern super cars come with keyless ignition, its become so common now, it just doesn't make much of a showcase anymore

Now you can easily go out and purchase a engine start fancy button and hook it up in your car ,to make it keyless ignition!

Its so mainstream now

I with you there bro! Its just so simple to turn a key! Why go out of the way for extra electrical work just so you can push a button to start your engine?

I'm not hating or anything but I think it's just for supercars

It's a way for the manufacturers to make more money thats for sure.
I never even fold my mirrors to start with.

All that aside though, it is a safety feature imo as it would give you more time to focus on the surroundings before approaching your car plus if your hands are full you just grab the handle with a finger and conveniently open the door
Also im more 90s. While i do think the smart key as toyota calls it is a nice feature, i think its not totally necessary and im more 90s in my approach.
I like turning the key, i like shifting my own gears and i like moving a transfer case lever.

Hahahaha this is the truth of modern day care culture!

Here are some advantages to keyless ignition via Autonews.com

Keyless Ignition Operations
Keyless ignition systems allow the driver to keep the key fob in their pocket when accessing and starting the vehicle. When the driver leaves the vehicle, the car will also shut off and lock. The key is identified by antennas in the car's frame and a radio pulse generator in the key housing. Some systems allow the car to be automatically unlocked when the door handle or trunk lid are operated or after a button located on the vehicles exterior is pressed. The car will only run when the key fob or card is inside the vehicle.
Vehicles with a keyless system installed are required to have a standard keyed backup. A traditional cylinder can be operated by a spare key supplied with the vehicle. Some manufactures allow temperature settings and seat and mirror positions to be stored as well.
A signal from an invalid key fob can trigger an alarm system or even disable the engine. This way, if someone enters the car without a valid ignition key, they won't be able to drive away. Many keyless systems also use rolling codes. A computer inside the vehicle recognizes the rolling code projected by the smart key, and then verifies it before starting the engine. BMW's smart keys also use computer-encrypted microchips to ward off car thieves who want to exploit this technology.

-- You can never lock your keys in the car, so you can't lock yourself out with the engine running, which I have done in the past with another car.

-- If you have it programmed correctly, you can never walk off and forget to lock your car. It locks automatically once you are three or four feet away.

-- You do not need to fumble in your pocket for your keys to unlock the car; it does it automatically upon approach.

Two fobs come with the car, so if you lose one on a weekend, you don't have to wait until Monday to see the dealer. You just need to get to where the second fob is stored.

That is no different from losing an ordinary set of keys.

DISADVANTAGES:

While the keyless systems make it difficult for cars to be stolen, with computerized controls hackers will be developing new ways to try to steal your car. Key programming tools and chips can be found online and may only be purchased by authorized dealers and mechanics.

A keyless car may be a convenience, but if a driver is distracted, it can be a lot easier to leave that car running without realizing it, experts say. And if that happens in an attached garage, it can be a deadly mistake.

Palm Beach County detectives are investigating whether this could have led to the death of a 29-year-old woman because of carbon monoxide poisoning in her home west of Boca Raton, Florida. Her keyless Lexus was found in the garage. A similar case occurred in Queens, NY.

Auto safety experts say keyless technology, introduced by Mercedes in 1999, needs to be examined, but they have too little data to know whether more people leave their cars running because they don't need a key.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports an average of 147 carbon monoxide poisonings a year, but it does not separately tally instances from cars with keyless ignition.
With newer cars that run smoothly and quietly, it is possible to accidentally leave the key fob in the vehicle while running. Manufacturers usually program an audible alarm, similar to the beeping you hear when you open your car door with the key in the ignition, but it does not shut the car off. Since most drivers are conditioned to turn the car off and remove the key it will take some practice to undo this training.

If you own a car with keyless ignition, read the owner’s manual carefully and become familiar with the cars operation and alarms so that you can be safe when you are in or out of your vehicle.

so for those who were wondering about installing a start button

here are the experts on the matter [video=youtube;5FBQwxm0uYo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FBQwxm0uYo[/video]

Ill add another disadvantage. Say you own a new Toyota and you lose a fob, thats $7000 to get a new one from the dealership.

Lmao...a bunch of Push Start haters here...well I like it! I like anything techy. lol. And I'm lazy....picture me as one of those fatties in Wall-E. lol. It's convenient, easy, and with all the clunkers I gone through, it would be nice to hear a car start normally for a change. lol...Cue grinding or screeching noise!

hqdefault.jpg

Lmao...a bunch of Push Start haters here...well I like it! I like anything techy. lol. And I'm lazy....picture me as one of those fatties in Wall-E. lol. It's convenient, easy, and with all the clunkers I gone through, it would be nice to hear a car start normally for a change. lol...Cue grinding or screeching noise!

hqdefault.jpg
True that's another advantage no excess noise lol.
We hating cause its costing more and doing nothing more.

I guess when people has a lot of money to afford these cars with keyless ignition , they don't mind the perks. Why would you want to spend all that money on a car if it's plain and same ole' right? Something hadda be different!

I don't think i can afford a car with keyless ignition so hey, turning my keys the old way is just fine!

7k to replace a fob on a 155k car like a kia rio for instance or yaris sounds like a lot.

There's nothing amazing with push to start . I've played with it on the new rav4 and it's nice but totally unnecessary. Doesn't make you feel any how or any different .

7k to replace a fob on a 155k car like a kia rio for instance or yaris sounds like a lot.

There's nothing amazing with push to start . I've played with it on the new rav4 and it's nice but totally unnecessary. Doesn't make you feel any how or any different .

We might think so... The owners of the car who have to money to buy it would think different ! :)

We might think so... The owners of the car who have to money to buy it would think different ! :)
Yeah a lot of them don't know the cost to replace the fob. That happened to us when my dad was buying the rav4.
We didn't know it would cost that much to replace or we may have gone with the model without it.
With that said they make cases and protectors for the fobs so hopefully they should last a while even with the occasional "oops".

Back