Joint Pain?

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

nirtime

LV

Hey people, what does a pain behind the knee joint represent? I've been getting a sharp pain behind my left knee joint every time I attempt to kneel. It only affects my ability to put pressure on the knee once the join is contracted. Been experiencing this for about 7 months or so.

im guessing your a tall person??? about 6 sumn guess it has to be stress being put on one of the knees

5' 11" lol. Not that tall. I believe it is also the pressure that I have been applying to the joint but not sure at which point it is most pressurized.

I use to get random knee pain also and it happen alot after i put some weight...try resting the affect knee more and see how it works out...joint pains are the worst especially when they occur randomly

Tried babying the knee for a month or more and it certainly lessened a lot but its still present when I find myself in the occasional odd position.(DIY ftw)

I forgot to mention that taking a joint capsule, I will get the name in the morning, actually sent away the pain as long as I kept taking it. I may need to drop a few lbs to see if that helps anything. I'm about average weight for my height so i'm really not too sure.

could be you damage some neurons in your knee also i will have to ask my padna when next i see him....his knee in a mess lol and he suppose to take tablets to help regenerate the nerves

Oh man, that sounds like he really damaged his knee.

I don't necessarily have to take the tablets to survive, I take it to get 100% relief so its possible something got damaged. I will eventually see a doctor about it but for now I'd like to be pointed in the right direction, won't rule out neuron damage but hope its not that.

Yeah i'm kinda the expert in this field due to my medical condition.

The knee pain sounds like you hurt it putting pressure when doing DIYs, lifting heavy stuff in a wrong bodily position, exiting your van on a bad step or on sitting/sleeping in awkward positions for long durations. Thats the most common causes of the joint knee pain. However there can be an underlying issue that has formed and you are unaware such as :

Are you having pain bending the knee, putting weight on it and also when you are moving it?

1. sprained ligaments - this can hurt really bad and can make the entire knee hurt badly
2. meniscus (cartilage) tears - If you tear a cartilage while lifting something , you need to see a doc
3. tendonitis.
4. runner's knee - Common if you do alot of sports or outdoor activity.
5. Sprained muscle - Most common and can produce the same pain as sprained ligaments or tears.

For th e course of the days ahead you can try to

- Keep massaging the knee with a teraputic rub everyday such as Ice hot, Benji's , hot iodex, white cross etc.
- Rest the knee and keep away from intense activity
- Elevate the knee a few times a day
- Practise light stretching and strengthening exercises . See youtube for this
- Compress the knee a few times a day with a knee bandage for added support
- Try taking an anti-inflammatory medication when it hurts to see if it passes
- And lastly ice the knee when it hurts

If it still persists , please see a doctor as the problem can be deeper and you might need an Xray to see the knee itself.

Please don't be frightened but these are other conditions that cause knee pain

• Bursitis. A bursa is a sac of fluid that resides below the skin overlying your joints. Overuse, a fall, or repeated bending and kneeling can irritate the bursa overlying the knee cap (patella), causing pain and swelling. This is known as prepatellar bursitis but commonly referred to as ''housemaid's knee'' or ''preacher's knee'' since they are often caused by repetitive kneeling.
  • Iliotibial band syndrome. The iliotibial band is a piece of tough tissue that runs from your hip down to the outer part of your knee. If it's irritated by overuse or other problems, it can become inflamed and cause pain on the outer side of the knee.
  • Osgood-schlatter disease- This condition causes a painful bump below the knee, where a tendon from the kneecap connects to the shin. It's usually caused by overuse and irritation at the tendon insertion known as the tibial tubercle. The pain may come and go over time. It's especially common in teenage boys and girls (13 and 14 years of age).
  • Osteoarthritis This condition is a frequent cause of knee pain in athletes and non-athletes alike who are over 50.
  • Dislocated kneecap (or patellar dislocation). In this condition, the kneecap slides out of position, causing knee pain and swelling.
  • Patellofemoral pain syndrome. This condition often results from issues associated with muscle imbalance, tightness, alignment of your legs, rather than an injury. It's particularly common in teenage girls.
  • Patellar Tendonitis, results from inflammation of the tendons surrounding your knee. Tendons are tough bands of tissue that connect muscles to your bones. Overuse can make the tendons inflamed and sore. The most common type of patellar tendonitis is called ''jumper's knee.''
  • Loose bodies. Sometimes, a knee injury an break loose cartilage. These pieces can get stuck in the joint, causing it to freeze up and producing pain and swelling.

Thank you very much for the well thought out and well explained reply! It is a tremendous help indeed!

Awesome info LadyD! I've had some joint issues of my own and found that taking certain vitamin supplements in addition to regular stretching (yoga) helped tremendously. Even without the supplements, the yoga has been so helpful on its own that only when I stop doing it for a period of time I notice the pain again. The most effective yoga should start with warm up stretches and breathing exercises, followed by whatever series of poses or routine you feel comfortable with, and end with cool down stretches and breathing. For any physical activity, warm ups and cool downs should be stressed. It's too easy to stress a joint or muscle in the wrong way by just jumping into something without preparing your body. Joint compression is also a great soothing extra to throw in there as well.

Oh good point shadow i forgot that ! Yes supplements like the Jamieson Bone and Joint, Omega XL and others can help with joint pain tremendously. My uncle used to suffer from bad arthiritis in his joints and he started taking the bone and joint supplement and it ease up his pain by alot.

Maybe u can try it Nirtime and see if it helps

And here I thought my knee pains was from football through an injury i picked up.
I guess it could be much more. I once had my knee come out of place while playing football....twice in the space of 4 months...
harden fella here...especially to play some footballl.

And here I thought my knee pains was from football through an injury i picked up.
I guess it could be much more. I once had my knee come out of place while playing football....twice in the space of 4 months...
harden fella here...especially to play some footballl.

Twice in four months? Dude I would get that checked out to see if it's an underlying issue. If it can be pinpointed it would be easier to treat. I'm just imagining what it must feel like to experience that lol can't be good.

I made a little discovery. My joints were mainly painless for the past few weeks or so. I knelt down to clean under the wheel wells and there it is, pain again in all its former glory. I think we can conclude my joint pain as partially solved.

Bending down is your problem. There is no such thing as bending down to much but its your body's form that is causing the pain. You are bending down badly that your knees are under pressure therefore causing the pain.

[h=1]How to Bend Properly[/h] Bending properly can help you avoid back strain and injury. Here are some tips for proper bending:

• Don't stand with your feet together, but instead keep them shoulder-width apart.
  • Flex (bend) at the hips and knees, not at the waist.
  • Pull in your abdominal muscles and tighten your quadriceps (thigh muscles).
  • Keep your spine straight — don't try to tuck your buttocks under.
  • Place a hand on a wall or fixed heavy object, such as a desk for support, if needed.

If you need to bend all the way to the floor:

• Lower yourself to 1 knee. If needed, place 1 hand on a sturdy, stable object to steady yourself as you move downward.
  • Rest an arm on the raised knee.
  • Bend at the hips and knees, but not at the waist, to get closer to the floor.
  • Don't round your shoulders or hunch your back or neck.

Bending down is your problem. There is no such thing as bending down to much but its your body's form that is causing the pain. You are bending down badly that your knees are under pressure therefore causing the pain.

How to Bend Properly

Bending properly can help you avoid back strain and injury. Here are some tips for proper bending:

• Don't stand with your feet together, but instead keep them shoulder-width apart.
  • Flex (bend) at the hips and knees, not at the waist.
  • Pull in your abdominal muscles and tighten your quadriceps (thigh muscles).
  • Keep your spine straight — don't try to tuck your buttocks under.
  • Place a hand on a wall or fixed heavy object, such as a desk for support, if needed.

If you need to bend all the way to the floor:

• Lower yourself to 1 knee. If needed, place 1 hand on a sturdy, stable object to steady yourself as you move downward.
  • Rest an arm on the raised knee.
  • Bend at the hips and knees, but not at the waist, to get closer to the floor.
  • Don't round your shoulders or hunch your back or neck.

THese things I do already naturally. The problem is when i kneel down as put my knees to the floor.

Resting either your knees or elbows down on hard surfaces, especially with your weight behind it is very bad and can lead to joint pain there. Kneeling with your knees on the floor could be your issue then. If you must kneel with your knees down on a surface, try resting a pillow or rolled up towel or blanket to rest your knees on instead.

Resting either your knees or elbows down on hard surfaces, especially with your weight behind it is very bad and can lead to joint pain there. Kneeling with your knees on the floor could be your issue then. If you must kneel with your knees down on a surface, try resting a pillow or rolled up towel or blanket to rest your knees on instead.

I usually put a padded slipper , guess thats not enough. Will have to avoid kneeling all together for a while again.

Back