I've Embraced the Open Source!!!

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

Wyspa

LV

Hey Spicians, today is a good day..err. morning... i have started using Ubuntu.. Yes, wispa has gone linux. I'm still tryin to get the hang of it tho. I'm currently using Firefox 3.5 in Ubuntu to type this post... Will let you guys kno how things are shaping up.

update: ok getting a little more familiar with how the os works. Feeling a lil good about myself. Since its open source, there are tons of free software to do just about anything you want to. You have two desktops to work with. So if one becomes cluttered you can placed some of theopen windows on the other desktop..cool. tried to get some games that run on Linux. downloaded one called Alienarena. but t get the thing to install is a pain. With linux you have to use the terminal to run executable files. In Windows these files are associated with the ".exe" file extensions. In Ubuntu(Linux) these type of file have a ".crx" file extension. you can't simply double click and run the program. And using the terminal is a pain for newbies. its a command-line based program that allows you to control the os. Similar to Command Prompt in Windows. Been trying for two days to get the stupid thing to run but with no luck. anyways will update you all as soon as I get my head around it some more.

I've been using Ubuntu since last year. I got introduced to Linux in a computer course I did. Actually the 2 desktops you have are default; you can have as many as 32 virtual desktops. Also you don't need to fight up with the terminal. You can use a program called Wine to run Windows based programs. Also if you install VirtualBox you can actually install Windows inside of Ubuntu to do anything you really find too much of a hassle to do in Ubuntu. I'm currently dual booted with Windows XP SP3 & I find myself mostly on Ubuntu because of the smoothness.

Almost everything you need to function comes pre-installed: Internet Browser [Firefox], E-mail client [Evolution], BitTorrent Client [Transmission], Office Suite [Open Office], IM [Pidgin], Media Player [Totem], text editor, calculator etc. It's a great OS and besides... it's FREE. :clap: The best thing is that with the Live CD you can try it out to see if you like it without having to install it and adversely affect your system. I'm no expert but if you need help with something you can IM or PM me.

Why wait a whole month? You can download the .iso and install it from there or burn it to a CD and try it from there. If you need help with the flashdrive install let me know.

I just like having the hard copy to boast with :D people ask about it and learn that free operating systems exist. And the specs are soo low people are willing to try it out.
The help would be appreciated having a bootable os on a flashdrive is probably the ultimate limit as far as carrying everything with you goes. That and i wouldn't trust myself to dual install correctly. Worth showing off too lol.

Ahhhhhhhhhh,Welcome to the ubuntu Family,doh really use it much again doh :Confused:

RauCous said:
I just like having the hard copy to boast with :D people ask about it and learn that free operating systems exist. And the specs are soo low people are willing to try it out.
The help would be appreciated having a bootable os on a flashdrive is probably the ultimate limit as far as carrying everything with you goes. That and i wouldn't trust myself to dual install correctly. Worth showing off too lol.

Well it's really the same thing when you burn off the image to a CD but up to you. When you're ready to install to the flash drive let me know.

I think waiting a month for Ubuntu is a waste of good time, when you can download the iso in a few minutes (dependin on internet speeds) and burn to a cd. And have you hard-copy etc....

I Actually got it Monday (28 days?), Chose the install inside windows option and now I have options on startup. It's awesome it auto detected the router (updated itself) and i installed a lot of miscellaneous things on it. Linux asks permission for everything! ... maybe not lol... but its more cautious than windows.

Glad to see you got it up & running!

I uninstalled mine.. I still have it there ready to install again when I feel like. I got tired of the terminal style install feature of Linux. Plus to many beta drivers for my hardware... it was sort of good using an alternative to Windows for a while though. But quickly went back to my ever so faithful Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit... lol.. i guess some day i will take a jab at it again.. right now I'm fiddling around with Windows Home Server. looking to undertake a lil project.

i hear yuh on that. learnign a new OS, especially one with a learning curve such as Linux can be interesting an rewarding. but i don't have the time to experiment too much.

Ubuntu 9.10 is back on my system. Decided to take another jab at it.. probably because Ubuntu 10.4 is around the corner and I wanna learn the basics before it hits..whatever...its installed and I'm fiddlin again..

I hate Ubuntu....don't know why.
Prefer Debian, CentOS or OpenSUSE

Well it's supposed to be the most user friendly Linux OS.

Back