IOC TO BAN JAMAICAN FOODS FROM FUTURE OLYMPICS!!

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

cool3ni

LV

August 22, 2008. OFFICIAL STATEMENT:

In a joint statement issued by the presidents of the World Anti-Doping Agency, International
Olympic Committee (IOC), and the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), the
following foods have been placed on the list of banned substances issued by WADA: yam, green
bananas, cocoa, dasheen, breadfruit, ackee and saltfish, mackeral run down, turned
cornmeal, Jerked pork and chicken, escovietched fish Malta, Supligen, Milo (said to be the
food drink of Champions), Horlicks and coconut oil. Jamaicans seem to become extremely
athletic on diets with these foods. Coming out of WADA labs, one of the major banned
substances from Jamaica is the Cassava root, a high fibre, high starch tuber root eaten in
Jamaica. It has properties which are said to enhance endurance and cause muscle fibres to twitch
faster. This comes after extensive study of the diets of the Jamaican athletes which took part in
the Beijing 2008 Olympic games. Though natural foods it is felt by WADA that these foods
because of their unique properties give Jamaican athletes an unfair advantage. High
concentrations of carbohydrates and other naturally occurring substances are said to be
mimicking the effects of Performance Enhancing Drugs (PEDs). Some foods have been noted to
in particular cause an unusual increase in the male hormone testosterone. As such WADA has
seen it fit to add these foods to the list of banned substances. Given the sensitivity of this issue,
Jamaican athletes participating in the current Olympic games underway in Beijing have not been
banned but must submit to these new restrictions within the next two years. Two substances
which have been discovered in testing of the Jamaican foods are “yamstenine”, a yam derivative
and “cocosterone”, a derivative of the coco plant. These substances have been found to mimic
nandrolone and the blood booster EPO, hence the preliminary banning of the substances
themselves and the banning of the foods they derive from.
This ruling will also affect other Caribbean and some African countries which share similar diets
as Jamaicans.

This statement has been passing around in emails and other sites.The person WHO MADE IT UP meant it as a joke,but I find its just crude on offensive to the Jamaican people and the Caribbean as a whole.

I thought it was funny... under a certain context. I dont see it as disrespectful of our culture but more of an indication of the lengths some may go to to discredit our accomplishments. There are many people doubting that Jamaica is incapable of winning without doping, they use much more upsetting means to make the caribbean look like cheaters. This was more of a way to show how stupid it sounds that everyone who excels at something must be a cheater. I think its plays on irony.
Yeah but it is crude.

Yeah I Agree..Thats Their Culture you can't stop something thats in their diet everyday the way it making them sound like if The Caribbean is a loser and only big countries should win that...I think that people wrote that out of joke but it was Jealousy behind that somewhere!

Back