How I Fixed A Lack of Acceleration & High RPM

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

nirtime

LV

Lots of people clean their MAF sensors but no one really pays attention to the gasket or O-ring that lines the circumference of the sensor.

Once this ring is compromised there will be an air leak which will cause some very odd issues. One such issue is the rough idle followed by a possible Check Engine Light. It may also cause a lack of acceleration/hesitation in the low range rpm. In my case I temporarily had totally lost all my higher end RPM and as such over taking on any road almost resulted in my death. My truck could not climb into my driveway because there was no power when the pedal hit the floor.

But the problems did not always occur. It was off and on, unexplainable. Overtime,the O ring around the MAF Sensor becomes brittle and eventually with age and heat it stretches out and begins to get very thin. You should change this seal once you notice it has become hard and is no longer soft and pliable. My O ring had a tear in it and looked and felt very much like plastic.
The MAF Sensor was cleaned quite regularly and one of the mistakes that were made each time was allowing cleaner to get on the O-ring. Once quick drying, no residue electronics cleaner(MAF Cleaner) gets on the ring it can cause the ring to swell and eventually it bursts.

It is wise when servicing the MAF sensor to exercise extreme caution and not allow the cleaner to contact the seal.

I fixed my problem by replacing the O-ring around the MAF sensor. I took the truck to a shop and then unscrewed the sensor and handed it to the people behind the counter. They quickly found the right size O-ring and to my surprise, once fitted, the fit was very tight and created a proper seal once again. Idle was extremely smooth, low range rpm was back, over taking power was restored.

A word to the wise: if you are using a K&N washable Air Filter it is recommended that you follow the specifications and add enough oil so the filter can do its job effectively. I have proven it for myself that the Oil getting on the MAF sensor is a myth. It would take an extreme amount of Oil on the filter for that to happen.

Back