How Do People with Bi-Xenon HIDs Flash their Lights?

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

nirtime

LV

I've noticed some cars only have projector HID lights. Low and high beams are integrated into the projector with the flip of a solenoid there is high beam. How do these people flash their lights during the day when the HIDs are turned off? I know it will still function as with halogen high beams but won't the life of the HID be shortened?

Yes. The life of the ballast will be shortened.
I am sure you notice that HID lights initilally turn on quite dim and after about a minute or so it reaches full intensity, lumen output and temperature(colour/kelvin/K). That is how HID ballasts are designed; slow power up requiring a great amount of power. When HID lights have fully warmed up, they require alot less energy that standard halogen lights.

Flashing HID lights when they are off is pushing the ballasts to produce a very fast surge of power the "flash" lights at your friend on the road/uncoming traffic for whatever reason. HID ballasts were not designed for that use.
Use your vehicles' horn instead of flashing your HID lights.

I figured that was the best use. I'm considering doing an RX350 Retrofit but I usually use the high beam a lot during the day to get people's attention where a horn doesn't. Seeing as I use H4 dual filament I probably won't be able to do that anymore...

But for some vehicles which came with separate lights for high and low wont be affected thats why when i see ppl with hid for these vehicles they normally only do the low beam well thy what i would of done

But for some vehicles which came with separate lights for high and low wont be affected thats why when i see ppl with hid for these vehicles they normally only do the low beam well thy what i would of done

I had that on the last car. H1 highs and H3 projector low. H4 in its dual filament nature uses 1 reflector sadly. If there were 2 I'd wire a relay to get the hi-beam to work normally when the bi-xenon projector HID was off. I just don't like those aftermarket lights for my vehicle what so ever.

But when lights are flashed on those vehicles that have separate low beam and separate high beam, doesn't both beam come when they light switch is pulled? To me I noticed that both beams flash.
I could be wrong.

But when lights are flashed on those vehicles that have separate low beam and separate high beam, doesn't both beam come when they light switch is pulled? To me I noticed that both beams flash.
I could be wrong.

yea now that you mention it yea it does....well i guess the best option as you said is to not flash your lights unless you really need to

I could be wrong.

Hence the need for the relay. Ive seen someone do it on a forum using H9 halogen high beams with their bi-xenons. Will see if I pull it up again and see what they did.

Also remember the high beam toggle can be wired to work just the solenoid in the projector so it may not switch on the HIDs

Have gotten the lights from a Y12 Wingroad with factory HIDs and it did not seem to need warming up or at least it looked that way.

Factory HIDs are all 35w, still unsure how it shows full brightness on 2 flashes lol

Even the good quality aftermarket AC kits have a bit of a warm up period. The fastest I've ever seen are the Osram that Suzuki uses. Its almost instant on. Guessing the Y12 is similar.

The only thing that will cause LED bulbs or any other type of bulb to blow faster is by touching the LED diodes/lamp/part that lights with your bare hands. Your hands/fingers will leave traces or grease on the bulbs from your fingerprints, causing uneven heating when the bulb is in use. This causes weak spots and eventually a shorter lifetime for the bulb.

Bulbs should be held at the base (part that goes into the bulb holder/socket). It is almost impossible to not touch the bulb at all, especially while it is being installed in some applications. This is where the use of gloves, cloths etc comes in. It may not always be practical but it is a step in ensuring our automotive bulbs do not blow prematurely.

Correct way:

hdlite-repl-bulb.jpg

holdbulbbybase.jpg

Incorrect way:

maxresdefault.jpg

8678147513_178dee41ef.jpg

Yikes! Those pics make me cringe. From my days of HID I knew the oils were bad and its worth mentioning that a bulb can be cleaned with rubbing alcohol in a tissue gently if touched or has any residue.

Back