How dark is too dark (Tinted windscreen)?

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
LV

Awards
Seeing that alot of people get pulled over by police officers for tinted windscreens, the question arises what percentage of tint is too dark 50% 35% 20% 15% 5%. The law states that no windows on a motor vehicle should be darkened or heavily tinted as to obscure the vision from outside to inside the vehicle. So how can an officer judge what is the correct grade or how dark your vehicle is i would like to know.

My vehicle is 15% on the doors windows and 20% on the rear windscreen.

There is no law as to what percent your tint should be... If the officier find your tint looking to dark (whether it be 15%... 30% etc)... He has the right to charge you... It doesnt mean however that you will be fined... You can go to court and fight the case if you believe your tint is visible from the outside... In the end % doesnt matter really... But alot of trinis believe the safest tint to go with is 35%....

Actually i asked my brother in law who is an officer. He said the last they agreed on was 20% for the back and 35% for the front. But then you have police who have tint looking like G5 and if possible a 0% on their cars and vans and then they claim that no one is above the law

I heard that police officers can get away due to the nature of their jobs..Some might see their faces and mark their vehicles to come after them

It's things like these why we cannot reach first world status. There is no instrument or tool to measure grade or darkness of tint, yet still you can be charged for such. One officer can find it is okay while another can find it is too dark and obscuring his vision. This law, like many others in T&T is very inconsistent.
Ah mean, I like tint eh. I like my comfort and privacy. Personally, I have double 20% right arond my vehicle. The car with a 'beat out' 20% and I put a fresh 20% on top of it. Generally, in all the roadblocks etc I have been through, I have had just one officer tell me it is 'kinda dark'.

BrotherHood said:
It's things like these why we cannot reach first world status. There is no instrument or tool to measure grade or darkness of tint, yet still you can be charged for such. One officer can find it is okay while another can find it is too dark and obscuring his vision. This law, like many others in T&T is very inconsistent.
Ah mean, I like tint eh. I like my comfort and privacy. Personally, I have double 20% right arond my vehicle. The car with a 'beat out' 20% and I put a fresh 20% on top of it. Generally, in all the roadblocks etc I have been through, I have had just one officer tell me it is 'kinda dark'.

:shock: You're really lucky. My friend newly bought her Elantra car and was ticketed for dark tint although it obviously passed in inspection before purchase. They didn't want to hear that she did nothing to it..Smh ! Some of them are really wicked yes..It's a black vehicle with black interior in the night ..what did they expect

I hope she goes to court to get that cleared up. Man, i almost get pulled over for a little crack on my windscreen. The other day i was driving and a stone hit my windscreen from a dotish sand truck. It was just a chip. Now that chip turn into a frickin' crack 2 inches long. The thing is that it's in the middle of the glass and they wanted to give me a ticket for that..Luckily one officer came and told me to drive off yes! Thank God!

Sky22 said:
I hope she goes to court to get that cleared up. Man, i almost get pulled over for a little crack on my windscreen. The other day i was driving and a stone hit my windscreen from a dotish sand truck. It was just a chip. Now that chip turn into a frickin' crack 2 inches long. The thing is that it's in the middle of the glass and they wanted to give me a ticket for that..Luckily one officer came and told me to drive off yes! Thank God!
You get away there man. Be thankful. Have that windscreen replaced asap.
A cracked windscreen is a charge. Defective fixtures. Same goes for blown headlamp bulbs, ID lights, broken or cracked lights.

Windscreen replaced this morning. Yup defective fixtures are small charges but i still don't want to put out that money..Time to get a dash cam!

Bought a brand new Mazda BT 50. Mom, sister, aunt and I passing through Maracas. Just on the stretch by the bake and shark establishments - heading towards Tyrico - Massive police road block. This young police officer pull me over and ask my why the tint so dark. Explain to the goodly officer that this is how the van came from the firm. He hand me a razor and instructs to start stripping the tint. I told him point blank No and said to him he would have to impound my vehicle. Took out a note book and wrote his police serial number down and said I will be calling TV6. Same time - an older 50 something age police officer walk over and said - Sir carry on - I dont know what wrong with these new officers we have.

See why i support raising the intake requirements to Advanced levels ?

The TTPS are passing out batches of officer very fast and are not training these people well, The recruitment process is alot faster than before and every 2-3 months a batch passes out. Younger police officer seem to think wearing that uniform makes them invincible and untouchable. Also alot of police officers on road blocks are SRP'S as well who don't have any passes and who was trained for only 2 weeks.

But then again their pre requirement qualifications will not mean much, I believe in longer and more intense training. Also doing more vigorous background checks will help.

admin said:
But then again their pre requirement qualifications will not mean much, I believe in longer and more intense training. Also doing more vigorous background checks will help.
I think this should go hand in hand.

in my line of work i need to see the driver of the vehicle before the get close.....so any dark tint is a no no by me....it shouh be remover by the relivant authorities.....once its dark...its too dark...only when u are workin in certain jobs then u know how much problems arise wit nonsence and showoff copycat stuff in our cars.....it may not make sensce to many what i just said......all dark tint cars should be ticketed....

Yes i was stopped once during a massive road block with my brother's Kia Cerato Koup. The young officer proceeded to ask me if i know my tint is dark and he might have to issue me a ticket. I told him before he goes any further please take a look at the bottom all the glasses, there is a writing that says Kia Motors and a serial number that ensures that the car came like that from the company. The officer insisted that it does not matter, and thank god suddenly the licensing officer came and read the glass and said nothing is wrong. Steups, officer made me late for my class yes

I think if your wind screen is not visible out side so the office will stop you and check you and if you have proper license so you can go with out fine and you are warned first time for tinted your windscreen.

Back