Gyro Vendorssay Viral Voicenote Malicious

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!
N

Neo

GuardianMedia.jpg

Rhondor Dowlat

Gyro vendors yesterday expressed deep concern over a voice note alleging that at least three people contracted salmonella poisoning after eating gyros from Ariapita Avenue in Port-of-Spain. They are of the belief the message was maliciously done.

Speaking with the T&T Guardian yesterday, a gyro vendor located on Ariapita Avenue, who wished not to be identified, denied the allegation now spreading via a Whatsapp voice message as “mischief.”

“It is not true. We are a connected community and we would be sure to know about it, but it is not true,” the vendor said.

“We are only hoping now that this does not cause any damage to our business and cause us to lose sales. Things are already slow.”

The voice note claims that a man was currently hospitalised with salmonella poisoning, along with three others, after eating gyros from a vendor on the Avenue. The voice note is also accompanied by a photo of the person believed to be the victim.

A male voice was heard saying: “A good partner of mine in hospital right now...name called...ate a gyro on the Avenue, don’t know the exact location but we are now finding out what is going on, the Ministry of Health has been alerted. What has happened is that he ingested the gyro and received an extreme case of salmonella poisoning which caused his kidneys to shut down to 15 per cent…pancreatic problems as well.

“Critical situation...when the lab test came back it showed it was because of this salmonella poisoning from this gyro that he consumed. I want to let you all know that if you have been eating this food please stop immediately.”

But a medical doctor, who wished not to be identified, said the voice note and image circulating with it did not add up.

“That is not true. That is not what salmonella infection looks like,” the doctor said.

He explained that salmonella poisoning usually leads to symptoms like vomiting, diarrhoea.

“If bacteria load is very high yes you can get blisters and allergic reaction, but you tend to get more food poisoning type symptoms if you home and did not seek medical attention.”

Also contacted yesterday, Port-of-Spain Mayor Joel Martinez said he could not confirm the report as no particular gyro business had been identified.

“I cannot tell the public to look out for something and it is not there. Unless it is legitimate then we can take action on it. I have been looking to see if there is any validity so that we can take action as quick as possible. Public Health officials make regular checks and will continue to do so,” he said.

A Ministry Health official also said that whilst they are investigating the validity of the voice note, the public should only purchase food from vendors with valid food badges which should be prominently displayed at all times.

Back