Granny Pleads Guilty To Stealing Ice Cream, Soap, Toothpaste

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!
A

alexk

GuardianMedia.jpg

A 71-year-old woman who spent two nights at the police station after she was caught stealing ice cream, dahi and other items from a grocery was given a chance yesterday.

Taking into consideration her age and that it was her first arrest, San Fernando magistrate Alicia Chankar reprimanded and discharged the elderly woman.

Deokie Samlalsingh, of La Romaine, went to MS Food City at SS Erin Road, Debe, on Saturday where she stole $261.65 worth of items.

Court prosecutor Denzil Alexander said around 4.55 pm the owner saw Samlalsingh taking items off of the shelves and placing it in her handbag.

Samlalsingh left the grocery without paying for the items. The owner confronted her and searched her handbag where she found a tube of Colgate, dairy milk, protex omega soap and haagen dazs ice cream.

The owner called the police. When PC Adam Andre arrived and spoke to the elderly woman, she said, “I don’t know what come over meh to take them things. I really sorry. I will pay them back, together with the dahi that I take and put in my car.”

The officer went into her car and found five bottles of dahi and a pack of salt in the front passenger door.

Samlalsingh was arrested and taken to the San Fernando Police Station where she was charged.

In the First Magistrate’s Court yesterday, Samlalsingh, who did not have an attorney, still could not offer a proper explanation for her actions.

“I really didn’t go to do it. I went to buy a few items for myself. I don’t know what come to me.”

She apologised and again offer to pay for the items. She said she lived alone and has a son but she did not know where he lives.

Asked by the magistrate if she knew she did something wrong, Samlalsingh said, “Yes, ma’am. I sorry. I will never in life do that again. I promise that.”

Samlalsingh said she went to the grocery for a soft drink and a full cream milk, but she only paid for the soft drink.

Because she had no criminal record, her age and the items were recovered, the magistrate allowed her to leave without a conviction being recorded against her.

“Please be mindful, don’t let it happen again,” said the magistrate as she ordered the items be returned to the owner.

Back