Fog Lights Dispute

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

LadyDeath

Senior Marketing Officer
Staff member
LV

Can someone give me a straight clear answer on whether fog lights are illegal or not in Trinidad & Tobago.
My family and i have been through numerous road blocks and we get so much differing answers. First of all, all our vehicles came with fog lights and we do use them. Sometimes we get stopped and told to take them off or get a ticket and most of the time police officers don't have a problem with it and don't even stop us.
So what's the big deal in this country? Yes or No because some officers cannot seem to make up their minds :confused:

the use of foglights were pass in the MV&rt act a few years ago. For your vehicle to use foglights it must come manufactured with the vehicle and the lights must be tilted at an specified angle downwards . All HID lights on foglights are illegal and you must still have on your headlights at nights even when your foglights are on.

The way I've heard:

Came with car at the time of manufacture = legal (but you have better luck with new than foreign used, and still you can get ticked anyway. Be sure to get documentation from new car manufacturer at time of purchase that it is part of stock design of car)

Aftermarket - illegal

I don't think its illegal as far as I know I use them on my swift and never had a problem really

The way I've heard:

Came with car at the time of manufacture = legal (but you have better luck with new than foreign used, and still you can get ticked anyway. Be sure to get documentation from new car manufacturer at time of purchase that it is part of stock design of car)

Aftermarket - illegal
Yepp Saxman you're right!

Even through roadblocks we still get stopped and argued with about fog lamps even though our car came with it... Sadly all documentation is in Japanese and the English version that's available is for the regular p11, we have an Autech model

Went to get my lights fixed and now somehow my fogs are working with my headlights. I have a PBM Bora so i hope they don't stop me nuh. I go get charged for sure and to make it worse they a white

I think its not illegal but its not to use in the off season.Its very useful to drive the car in the heavy fog.These lights works good if these are of good quality.

i know this a fog lamp post eh but what about the drls....christmas tree lights??? and about the fogs i use them lmao and never got stopped...i think is most of the time the officer just want to give you a ticket if he stops you

i know this a fog lamp post eh but what about the drls....christmas tree lights??? and about the fogs i use them lmao and never got stopped...i think is most of the time the officer just want to give you a ticket if he stops you

DRLS as far as I know aren't illegal. They pretty much fall within the same category as halos(angel eyes) and LEDs which are not illegal.

Even though the fogs are illegal they generally don't bother since most cars come factory fitted with it and it would be defacing the vehiicle to remove them as they are a standard feature plus if you have the letter from the dealer stating that your vehicle came with these fog lights officially they will just throw out any case if you end up in the court.

Lol with my fresh paint job , my lights now show purple as it reflects off my shining dust in my paint. Lawd ! I really hopeee they don't stop mee!

Yeah i agree with you statements and its not illegal bu we should keep their intensity know in the non fogy weather to decrease the hazards of accident.

The law as it pertains to fog lamps is very inconsistent and conflicting.
What makes fog lamps illegal is having them illuminated. Stupid yes, but this came from the mouth of a police officer with that I personally know. Nothing is wrong with having them on the car. The problem is when they are illuminated/on. Further, what we call fog lights are not even fog lights. Those are curb lights. The actual fog lamp itself traditionally is supposed to be yellow in colour. Some officers fuss with it while others do not.
As I said at first, the law regarding fog lights is very inconsistent. The same with tint.

Back