Earthquakes In T&T 2015

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

LadyDeath

Senior Marketing Officer
Staff member
LV

1. A Magnitude 5.0 Earthquake was recorded by the UWI Seismic Research Centre at 06:59 am T&T time. The quake was reportedly felt in Port of Spain and West Trinidad.

UWI, SRC - Automatic Earthquake Location
DATE AND TIME:
2015-02-04 06:59 am (Local Time)
2015-02-04 10:59 (UTC)
MAGNITUDE: 5.0
Depth: 10 km
NEARBY CITIES:
67 km ENE of Car?pano, Venezuela
126 km W of Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
133 km NE of Matur?n, Venezuela

2. The UWI Seismic Research Centre has confirmed that another earthquake (a magnitude 4.2) was recorded North West of Trinidad at 8:53 am Feb 4th. Earlier the Seismic Research Centre reported a magnitude 5.0 earthquake at 06:59 am T&T time. The quake was reportedly felt in Port of Spain and West Trinidad.

MAGNITUDE: 4.2
NEARBY CITIES
90 km NE of Car?pano, Venezuela
115 km WNW of Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
140 km WNW of Arima, Trinidad and Tobago

3. The UWI Seismic Research Centre has confirmed that magnitude 5.0 was recorded 64.0 km North West of Port of Spain at Feb 5th @ 5:50 pm. The event, which was felt in Port of Spain and several parts of West Trinidad is third earthquake above a magnitude of 4.0 to be recorded in the last 48 hours. The day before, two earthquakes, which measured at magnitude 4.2 (8:53 am) and magnitude 5.0 (6:59 am) were recorded.

UWI, SRC - Automatic Earthquake Location
DATE AND TIME: 2015-02-05 5:50 pm (Local Time) 2015-02-05 21:50 (UTC)
MAGNITUDE: 5.0
Longitude: 61.92W
NEARBY CITIES
64 km NW of Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
85 km NW of Arima, Trinidad and Tobago
104 km NW of San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago

Attachments

• 10954561_10153048633290610_5476502961648268904_n.jpg
    10954561_10153048633290610_5476502961648268904_n.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 2nd.jpg
    2nd.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 3rd.jpg
    3rd.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 105
I really did see the first two but how come we are having so many magnitude 4-5s lately?

i personally didnt even feel those earthquakes , i dont even know what i was doing at the time, but it wasnt really strong up diego martin!

I was oblivious in South. I echo nirtime's question though; rather odd.

Yes maybe some movements on the plates moving together. Remember we are on a tramsform plate that can be described as two graters rubbing together. Moving of the plates will cause after effects for quite some days which was what our environs were experiencing. Geography lesson for today lol

Lol thanks LadyDeath! I just find the number of these natural disasters have been increasing over time. Kinda gives me a sinking feeling about the Earth presently and for our future.

Yup that's why i decided to become a Geographer and persued my major degree in Geography.
This is our earth and we need to become aware of what is happening . They are also saying now that since in the 1960s after we had the most devastating earthquake, the time has passed for one to come . So we have to be on the lookout and know the signs incase if one is to occur again like it .

I honestly thought that those earthquakes were signs also but I was not even close to being sure so I didnt say it.

Geo is a really nice area to pursue. I almost pursued it!

I think it would handy to throw in some Earthquake safety tips while we're on the topic. I remember an earthquake taking place in school once and students and staff alike went into a frenzied chaos lol

Good idea!!!!! Im not very knowledgeable when it comes to preparation or action before and during earthquakes so i would really love such a thread.

4.7 Earthquake Rocks Eastern Caribbean

At least three islands from the eastern caribbean were rocked by an earthquake measuring 4.7. The earthquake was felt in St,Lucia, St.Vincent and the Grenadines and Martinique shortly after 10 a.m which was comfiremed by the Seismic Research Centre at UWI. There has been no report of damage of injuries.

You all find alot of earthquakes taking place these days??

Re: 4.7 Earthquake Rocks Eastern Caribbean

I hope there was no serious damage. Yup I think earthquakes are happening more and more frequently. Any news of an aftershock yet?

Earthquakes are some scary phenomenons yes!

Our transform plate is moving thus a close series of earthquakes are happening. Its not like other plates ( convergent/divergent) where 1 earthquake occurs and thats it . A transform plate is like a grator with teeth like edges, once there is a movement, they grind together causing a series of earthquakes to move

Thanks for the explanation LadyD! That sounds scary indeed. So all we can do is just wait and prepare?

Yup.

However other advanced countries such as China & Japan have state of the art technology where they can be warned when an earthquake is about to happen so they can prepare. Usually a few hours before. We on the other hand, just have to mentally prepare for when it happens and deal with it from there

Back