Draft Implementation plan for Number Portability in T&T

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

cool3ni

LV

The Telecommunications Authority of Trinidad and Tobago (TATT) has released the "Draft Implementation plan for Number Portability in Trinidad and Tobago" document for public comment. Comments should be submitted on or before 7th May, 2010 to policy@tatt.org.tt or mailed to:
Telecommunications Authority of Trinidad and Tobago,
#5, Eighth Avenue Extension, off Twelfth Street,
Barataria,
Trinidad and Tobago.

Number portability will permit users of domestic fixed line and mobile telecommunications networks to change concessionaire without changing their telephone number.

I've read most of the document and to my understanding I like the fact that you can keep your number if you decide to switch between mobile networks.

on the other hand

They also proposed that you can now be able to keep your same number if you switch from a fixed landline service to a mobile one and you can keep your same number don't matter where you change residence.In order for they to implement this they suggested that all telecom companies set a fixed flat calling rate for their landline service which I don't agree to because currently you are allowed to call any number within your area code for 23 cents unlimited time,which is beneficial to me in my case. :wink: . Also since you can keep your fixed line number don't matter where you change residence in the country,area codes will now become useless and I wouldn't like that,but in all fairness I do see how that can be beneficial to some people.

You can have a look at the document here http://tatt.org.tt/ddocs/Number%20Porta ... 1%2010.pdf

Yeah especially to companies..i love this new idea althou the area code will be mixed up but say what it makes everyone happy

I believe they're bringing in this new documentation because the use of home phones are declined drastically in the last years, especially with the introduction of digicel and cheaper mobile phones. Honestly, I didn't even know you get cheaper rates for calling in your area. I didn't know there were different rates. I thought it was already flat for local and just raised for foreign calls.

I like the ability to keep your number and I agree the mixing of codes could be hard to follow, but only at first. Remember so many cell phones have different codes and its not confusing because we understand that's just how it is. It will take some getting used to but it will be much more convenient in the end for everyone.

Back