Don’t Judge Him Yet

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!
A

alexk

Joseph%20Honore.jpg

The father of Sgt Darryl Honore, who died Monday from injuries he sustained in a shootout with a colleague at Grand Bazaar last week, has publicly apologised to the T&T Police Service (TTPS) and citizenry for whatever hurt, disappointment and embarrassment the incident caused.

But Joseph Honore, an attorney, also asked that his son be forgiven and that the society is not too quick to judge.

Honore was shot during a shootout he had with another officer last Wednesday just outside the Ruby Tuesday restaurant at Grand Bazaar. Honore, who was critically wounded, underwent surgery on Friday but succumbed to his injuries on Sunday around 10.25 pm. An autopsy will be done today to determine the actual cause of death.

Speaking with the T&T Guardian yesterday, an emotional Honore senior said he lost a kind, loving and very understanding son.

However, he added, “We really do apologise to who would have suffered in one way or the other by this. But, please, don’t judge him just yet.”

He added: “Since the incident, the amount of people have been contacting me to give that encouragement and support, I realised how much people loved my son. The responses have been so overwhelming that I didn’t know that my son was so popular, even more popular than me.”

But Honore said their healing process had already started because of their unconditional love for Darryl.

Asked if he knew what was happening to his son and how he would have helped him through any intervention, Honore said: “I was always there for him but he was the type not to open up too much about anything, but I often spoke with him about that spiritual guidance.”

Asked if Honore’s estranged wife had reached out to them since the incident, Honore replied: “It is very complicated. We have tried to reach out but it is very complicated.”

Honore, who broke down in tears during the interview, said he looked at his son on his hospital bed and the last thing he did on Sunday was to kiss him and tell him how much he loved him.

Darryl was the first of three boys for Honore.
“This has taught me to be there more for my other two boys. I have given them space as they are now grown men, but this experience has shown me that I have to keep them closer to me than ever,” Honore said.

Honore, 65, a retired police officer who was once part of the TTPS’ elite Flying Squad unit in 1985, admitted he never wanted Darryl to join the TTPS, mainly because of the fact that the service was not the same as when he joined it. Honore was head of the Inter-Agency Task Force before he retired. In 2008, Honore was called to the Bar as a defence attorney until present.

“When I was in the service it was hard then…now crimes have evolved to sophisticated crimes and I always wanted better for my children. I was a bit sceptical when Darryl joined.”

Asked what he recommends for police officers who are going through various levels of stress and distress, similar to what his son was experiencing, in their personal lives, Honore said there was a need for a mandatory system of periodic psychiatric evaluation.

“If you leave it up for just social workers available or counsellors available, hardly ever you would get officers seeking the services. Tests should be done when people are entering the service, but it should be made mandatory for all officers periodically

Back