DIY Tech Gadget Cleaning Solutions

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

Shadowhunter

LV

I know there are folks who swear by certain commercial products, but these DIYs really caught my eye!

A 1:1 mix of 70% isopropyl alcohol and distilled water can be quite effective on electronic screens, glasses, household mirrors, and like surfaces but is not recommended for plastic surfaces such as cases as the alcohol may cause yellowing over time on lighter surfaces. For 90% isopropyl alcohol, the ratio is 1:25. Use with either a 100% cotton cloth or microfiber cleaning cloth. Though this is great for disinfecting and dries quickly, this is not recommended for all devices, such as Apple devices due to their oleophobic coating.

A 1:1 mixture of vinegar and distilled water is safer for practically any surface, but does leave a vinegar-y smell behind.

Distilled water on its own can also be used.

I've also heard of people cleaning their keyboards by putting them in dishwashers or using air compressors.

Has anyone ever tried any of these?

a drop of dish washing detergent in a spray bottle with a bit of water is highly effective at cleaning as well. Cleaned plastic with it many times and never had a problem.

also use this soap solution to apply a dry screen protector wet. Works the part.

Have you noticed a difference between using regular tap water and distilled water for this?

I dislike wet installations lol ahaha lastr one i did was for a ipad and that took time lol...... on the bright side you could do it over alot, than the dry ones

I dislike wet installations lol ahaha lastr one i did was for a ipad and that took time lol...... on the bright side you could do it over alot, than the dry ones

Bro you can use the dry ones and install them wet. I do it all the time. Easiest way to get it perfect.

Never had any problems with the wet I actually prefer it since its easy to perfect. Lint and particles are easily removed with a wet finger.

Have you noticed a difference between using regular tap water and distilled water for this?

All I use is tap water with it. However for glasses cleaning if using just water the purified bottled water seems to look cleaner with less hazing in a hurry.

All I use is tap water with it. However for glasses cleaning if using just water the purified bottled water seems to look cleaner with less hazing in a hurry.

I'll try that. I still use the lens cleaning solution I got with my glasses.

I'll try that. I still use the lens cleaning solution I got with my glasses.

Try using a drop of squeezee with a little tap water in a spray bottle. I have one of the Zagg invisible shield spray bottles that's about 75mls or so. Its perfect :) I use it everyday to wet the lenses and just wipe dry with a microfiber glasses cloth. Usually works out great.

I tried squeezee with tap water years ago and it started chipping the color off the frames around the lens lol One place I got glasses from used that solution with their glasses on display and another I saw used Windex. I keep Ferreira's solution and cloth handy but it's nearly done so I'll have to try some of these by force.

I tried squeezee with tap water years ago and it started chipping the color off the frames around the lens lol One place I got glasses from used that solution with their glasses on display and another I saw used Windex. I keep Ferreira's solution and cloth handy but it's nearly done so I'll have to try some of these by force.

You used way too much squeezee... A drop is adequate. Its worked for me never bought the kits. Had my glasses since 2010 and changed only last year. No issues.

Last edited:
I'll try it again and see

The only problem I ever encountered is streaking when using a dirty cloth. By dirty I mean a cloth that has some residue on it after cleaning the frame.

That same 1 drop squeezee solution I use to clean my Ultrabook from the brushed metal looking top the keys on the keyboard. No fading, discolouration or other issues since its very mild.

Back