Divali/Diwali 2013 – the date and the controversy

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

kingfish

LV

There has been a discussion brewing among the Hindu Community regarding the date of Divali in Trinidad and Tobago. While the rest of the world is celebrating this auspicious day on the 3rd of November 2013, according to an article from the Trinidad Express, the holiday is being declared as the 2nd of November 2013:

The by-election will take place just two days after the Divali holiday, which will be observed on November 2.

From my limited knowledge of Divali, it should be celebrated on the darkest night of the year. According to moonconnection.com, New Moon (which is the darkest night) falls on the 3rd of November:
Lunar phases in the Northern Hemisphere for November 2013

Lunar phases in the Northern Hemisphere for November 2013

. Shouldn’t this be the day of Divali?

There has been talk that the reason behind declaring the holiday one day earlier is to facilitate the by election in St. Joseph. The laws in T&T state that there is a 90 day window to announce and stage a by-election once a seat is declared vacant. The 90 day period will expire on the 20th of December 2013.

If Divali was declared as the 3rd of November 2013, then the 4th of November 2013 would have to be declared a holiday as the 3rd falls on a Sunday. Besides the fact that the population will be denied an extra day off, this act will deny the Hindu population of observing Divali on the correct day, which is unfair and immoral from a religious perspective.

Attachments

• 1376363_10153253301195618_1720543812_n1-300x245.jpg
    1376363_10153253301195618_1720543812_n1-300x245.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,083
Re: Divali/Diwali/Deepavali 2013 – the date and the controve

Wish it was the 3rd of November too.. But I heard Sat Maraj say its the 2nd of November which is the same date India celebrating it. Would of love the extra day off but I guess yuh can't have it all.

i was upset at fist but then after readin the article...i understand.....we hav three (3) dys for our bg day...

I just hope so and not because is St Joseph elections them changing the date..i not even feeling divali this year..normally around my area there are the bursting of bamboos, big celebrations and adverts but nothing like that this year

WELL FOLKS, DIVALI 2013 IS ACTUALLY TODAY (SUNDAY) ALL AROUND THE WORLD, BUT ONLY IN TRINIDAD IT IS CELEBRATED TODAY SATURDAY. IF IT WAS CELEBRATED ON SUNDAY LIKE IT SHOULD, THEN THE HOLIDAY WOULD WOULD HAVE TO BE GIVEN ON MONDAY, SINCE WE HAVE BY-ELECTIONS ON MONDAY THIS WOULD INTERFERE WITH POLITICS, IS THIS GOOD REASONING OR IS THIS DICTATORSHIP?

Back