Chronicles of the drop low driver

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

anthonemorris

LV

Alright let me be the first to say that I had always told myself to never ever buy a drop low car. That being said, I'm now the owner of a drop low bluebird. First off I'd like to say a big shout out to the previous owner(s) who thought it best to heat and cut the original springs to lower the car. Great job :confused:

So that aside I'd must say it takes a great level of skill to drive a lowered car especially with the roads we have in Trinidad.

That is true, it requires a lot of skill to manage the lowered suspension in these roads.

How is the ride with cut springs?

Oh no lol I've yet to see a driver of a low car look comfortable while driving on these roads. Especially when entering/leaving driveways or garages, seeing potholes in front of them, seeing WASA or other road work signs, seeing uneven roads, entering/leaving raised platforms......well I'm sure you can create a whole list anthone lol

Oh I could. But I learned something last night. On jacking up the car I saw the condition of the spring. I actually readjusted the spring as an experiment to see how it would sit. Apparently letting the spring rest as it would normally on the strut makes for a hellish ride. So what I did was put the lowest point of the spring to rest on the highest point on the strut. Improved the rebound of the cut spring and put just about a 1/4 inch height increase. Unfortunately I only did the back. Will try to adjust the front today

For some reason, I'm now picturing one of these from the 90's lol:

lowrider-1.jpg

That's a good experiment anthone, a 1/4" in this place can be a life saver.

Lol drop low drivers are very skilled, they take every bump at a 45 degree angle and generally slowly and carefully.

Yup. I had to teach a guy years ago how to drive his recently dropped baleno. So I finished with the car this morning and it really is now 1/4" higher. Rebound is loads better but haven't driven it with the front raised yet. Also while under the car I had an idea. So I went looking under my girlfriend y11 and saw the front springs look very similar to those springs that were cut. So I'm wondering if I could get 4 front springs and keep the stance but with uncut springs

Haha you operating like me now anthonemorris.

I think it might work but you'll really only know when you actually do it.

So first drive after raising 1/4" wasn't as bad as when I first got the car. Had loads more confidence in taking small bumps in the road. The same drive I would usually take home wasn't as bad. Have to say there was more noticeable bounce but I didn't touch.

Hmm that's some very interesting findings. Would you keep the drop or do you plan on raising it to factory height?

I plan to raise the car to either stock height or about an inch or so lower. I like the stance the car has right now but for function it will go up

1. Humps are your worst enemy my friend.
2. That moment when you die a little inside when your car grazes underneath
3. When your belly start to hurt after you realize your car is so low that that it hit the car park hump.
4. When everyone looks down on you

I can go on and on .. Low cars look pretty but its a pain what you feel on the roads and how much things you have to look out for

1. Humps are your worst enemy my friend.
2. That moment when you die a little inside when your car grazes underneath
3. When your belly start to hurt after you realize your car is so low that that it hit the car park hump.
4. When everyone looks down on you

I can go on and on .. Low cars look pretty but its a pain what you feel on the roads and how much things you have to look out for

Lets not forget airbag suspension is very costly as well.

I think AnthoneMorris' idea of dropping just an inch below factory spec is a very good idea. The car looked great with its stance from the pic thats in another thread.

So I've been doing some digging and found something wonderful. B13/14/15/y11 front shock assembly happens to be interchangeable (strut, spring, bearing, shock head). As far as the rear strut haven't gotten any similar struts yet. As far as a replacement spring the y11 rear spring works. Should be an interesting rebuild.

ok so i've got a set of springs off of a y12 that i'm going to use to raise the car. the springs are only 1.5" higher than the cut springs currently on the car but should give a much smoother ride while i enjoy the stance of the car. looking at doing this around thursday or friday afternoon after work. should be fun

Yup. I had to teach a guy years ago how to drive his recently dropped baleno. So I finished with the car this morning and it really is now 1/4" higher. Rebound is loads better but haven't driven it with the front raised yet. Also while under the car I had an idea. So I went looking under my girlfriend y11 and saw the front springs look very similar to those springs that were cut. So I'm wondering if I could get 4 front springs and keep the stance but with uncut springs

ammm what u doing under meh body without meh permission

Back