Cholesterol: Not The Bad Guy Anymore?

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

Shadowhunter

LV

The interwebs have been blowing up recently with articles and references denouncing over 40 years of claims that cholesterol was bad for you and led to diseases such as heart disease. The gist is that cholesterol is not the bad guy. It's actually necessary for your body and should not be avoided. Of course, if you have a pre-existing condition that puts you at risk for heart disease, for example, then you still have to liaise with your health professional to work out your dietary needs and restrictions. After being plagued with information against cholesterol all these years, what do you think about this?

Two examples:
http://legalinsurrection.com/2015/02/americas-eggs-perts-get-fried-by-real-science/
http://www.zoeharcombe.com/the-knowledge/we-have-got-cholesterol-completely-wrong/

This is awesome news for me! I hope....don't want to eat carelessly and then a year down the road hear about another study disproving this one. lol

Lol good point! Science is always changing, and saturated fat is also being reconsidered so who knows! I think moderation is key. I usually alternate between extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil when cooking because I think we need good fats in our diets, but I don't think too much is good. I believe that even those predisposed to poor health (genetics, for example) can turn things around with a healthy lifestyle. Eggs and shrimp are considered high in cholesterol and regardless of what the debates say, I feel no guilt eating either because I think the health benefits outweigh the bad and my diet usually includes a decent amount of healthy stuff when possible to balance things out. Sweets are another story entirely lol but a work in progress nonetheless.

Like everything else the mass media science is based on money making. Be careful what you believe and consider as Scientific.

So true! I still do my own research regardless of what the health trends are and I think each person's diet does not have to be the same to be healthy and suit their specific needs.

So true! I still do my own research regardless of what the health trends are and I think each person's diet does not have to be the same to be healthy and suit their specific needs.

Thats exactly right. Sugar is harmful for me but you may need sugar to remain alive. Trends are just a way to make money if anything, everyone has their unique issues and have to deal with it accordingly instead of wondering whats wrong and reading more fads on the internet and doing more harm to themselves ignorant to their actual problem.

Thats something I never understand and probably will never understand.

It's hard to get authentic and accurate information, but it's well worth it in the long run. Meeting with a nutritionist and/or dietitian can be a life-changing experience as well. Sales reps and companies associated with certain products will promote those products and denounce alternatives, but information regarding specific nutrients for example, with information on as many sources and related effects are usually a better bet.

Back