Charlie Hebdo/Je Suis Charlie

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

Shadowhunter

LV

From Wikipedia:

On 7 January 2015, at about 11:30 CET (10:30 UTC), two masked gunmen forced their way into the offices of the French satirical weekly newspaperCharlie Hebdo in Paris, France, and killed 12 people.[SUP][12][/SUP] The fatalities included the editor St?phane "Charb" Charbonnier, seven other Charlie Hebdo employees, and two National Police officers. The gunmen were armed with AK-47assault rifles, a shotgun, and an RPGlauncher and wounded eleven others before escaping by car.[SUP][13][/SUP][SUP][14][/SUP][SUP][15][/SUP]

Charlie Hebdo has attracted worldwide attention for its regular depictions of Muhammad, the founder of Islam.[SUP][16][/SUP][SUP][17][/SUP] The gunmen fired up to 50 shots with automatic weapons, shouting "Allahu Akbar", Arabic for "God is great".[SUP][18][/SUP][SUP][19]
[/SUP]

Police detained several people during the manhunt for the two main suspects. A third suspect gave himself up. The assailants were described by police as "armed and dangerous", and the threat level in ?le-de-France and Picardy was raised to its highest possible status. On 9 January, police tracked the assailants to an industrial estate in Dammartin-en-Go?le where they took a hostage.[SUP][20][/SUP]

Another gunman also took hostages at a kosher supermarket near the Porte de Vincennes.[SUP][21][/SUP]GIGN (a special operations unit of the French Armed Forces), RAID (a special operations unit of the French Police) and BRI conducted simultaneous raids in Dammartin and at Porte de Vincennes; three terrorists were killed, and some hostages were injured or killed.[SUP][22][/SUP] President Fran?ois Hollande confirmed that four hostages were killed in the Vincennes supermarket, and the prosecutor said that they were killed before the police intervention.[SUP][23][/SUP][SUP][24][/SUP] A fifth suspect is still on the run.[SUP][25]
[/SUP]

A total of 17 people were killed at four locations between 7 and 9 January, plus the three suspects;[SUP][26][/SUP] at least 21 others were injured, some critically. The attacks are the deadliest act of terrorism in France since the 1961 Vitry-Le-Fran?ois train bombing by the Organisation de l'arm?e secr?te (OAS).[SUP][27][/SUP]

The remaining staff of Charlie Hebdo announced that publication would continue,[SUP][28][/SUP] with plans for a print run of 1 million copies for the next week's issue, rather than its typical 60,000.[SUP][29][/SUP][SUP][30][/SUP]The "survivors' issue" of Charlie Hebdo will also be sold outside France. [SUP][31][/SUP]

On 11 January 2015, up to 2 million people including more than 40 world leaders streamed into the heart of Paris for a rally of national unity to honour the 17 victims. In all, 3.7 million people joined demonstrations nationwide, in what officials called the largest public rally in France since World War II.[SUP][32][/SUP][SUP][33][/SUP][SUP][34][/SUP] The phrase Je suis Charlie (French for "I am Charlie") has come to be a common worldwide sign of solidarity against the attacks.[SUP][35][/SUP]

Further information with images and videos:
Coverage from Daily Mail (<<<click)
Coverage from BBC (<<<<click)

This is Charlie Hebdo's website stating that they will be publishing a survivor's newsletter on Wednesday, 14th January with the support of the people to prove that the pen is above barbarism and freedom is a universal right. This edition is also speculated to be published outside of France in 16 languages. Statements from them to other sources have revealed that they intend to use cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed in this edition as well.

This video shows images from previous Charlie Hebdo cartoons with translations.

What do you think of this tragedy and resulting actions?

i heard about this nightmare! I have no words because that's to tell you how speechless i am on the matter. I am glad that they are dealing with the terrorists swiftly and give them what they deserve. Smh! And to think that this is a place that has alot of tourism. I wonder if statistics will decline after this

I hope not! Visiting different parts of France will still be a life goal for me, and the show of solidarity only makes me want to go even more.

Update: Yemen Al-Qaeda is said to have claimed responsibility for the attack, the last I've checked, major news sources haven't all confirmed this yet. Also, due to a car bomb in Sanaa, Yemen; at least 37 people were killed and dozens more injured. This attack occurred hours before the Charlie Hebdo attack on the same day, yet has barely received coverage.

Back