Causeway For Trinidad

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

LadyDeath

Senior Marketing Officer
Staff member
LV

What do you guys think about the plan?

IF the People's Partnership is re-elected into office for a second successive term after this year's general election, a roadway will be constructed over the water from Port of Spain to Chaguaramas, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar has announced. "Our Cabinet has already agreed we will partner with the Canadian government to look into the feasibility of building a causeway from Port of Spain right down to Chaguaramas," Persad-Bissessar said.

"We will look at the causeway, we will build it...you know I was in Panama recently and I saw the causeway running across the water skipping all the major traffic and just getting from place to place with cut-off points along the way.
"We will, with your help, in our second term build the first-ever causeway in Trinidad and Tobago in the North-West peninsula," she stated.

In addition to the causeway, Persad-Bissessar said the construction of the highway from Point Fortin to San Fernando will continue and another highway will be constucted from San Fernando to Mayaro.

"I give you the assurance tonight that the Partnership Government post-election 2015, should we form the Government, we will build the San Fernando to Mayaro highway in that term," Persad-Bissessar said.

UPDATE: Businessmen have reported that the causeway will be a tremendous help as it will relieve traffic congestion and get people to destinations such as Chaguramas, Gasparee Islands , Macqueripe etc. in a short space of time. Speaking with citizens that work in Port of Spain, they said that mornings/evenings will be much easier and less traffic congestion will mean that they can extend their resting time.

UPDATE 2 : Former works and transport minister Colm Imbert has described Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar?s promise to build a causeway from Port-of-Spain to Chaguaramas as a new political low, saying that she publicly dismissed the idea when it was presented by the People?s National Movement (PNM) in 2010 as a ?waste of time and money.?

Back