Breaking Barriers off the air!

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

Saxman642

LV

While I never watched his show that often, I did enjoy it and the things he used to highlight.

I am angry that he is forced to go offlne due to threats on his and his kids' lives.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2014-12-12/‘breaking-barriers’-air-after-threats

Shaken and disturbed, activist, broadcaster and media owner Inshan Ishmael says his TV programme, “Breaking Barriers”, will not return to the airwaves unless threats against him have been removed. Ishmael said yesterday his programme, which shows on the Islamic Broadcasting Network (IBC), would end after he had received word of threats to his family. “They talked about putting me to kneel down and watch as they dealt with my family,” he added.

Ishmael said he was no stranger to threats but it had never reached a point where his family also was targeted. The programme has run for nine years on the network and focuses mainly on highlighting issues in and out of government. He said it also raised money for people who needed medical treatment. He added: “It was a successful show but within the last few months we started getting a lot of threats at the station.”

He said they started around the time he started doing stories on contracts for the Curepe interchange. He believed there was a “contractors’ war” happening which needed to be investigated. “Last week a contractor who works for the Government threatened me and my family outside of MovieTowne in Chaguanas. “Yesterday evening, a friend called and asked to see me about an urgent matter before the show and told me about a plan to burn down my house and my business,” he added.

He said he was told a certain contractor was behind it. Ishmael said a few months ago he made a report to the police Cyber Crime Unit about threatening text messages, which were investigated, but nothing came of it. Yesterday morning, he said, National Security Minister Gary Griffith contacted him about the threats. “I have to commend the minister because the ministry has been working with me,” he added.
Ishmael said he had also increased his own personal security. “I am now secured up to my teeth,” he added. As for his staff, he said they would remain employed with him despite the show’s end.

I am saddned by this because there were many things i have learnt about government officials that he brought to light. There is also a facebook page where many wanted to boycott the show and it's sponsors. I wonder if the same thing will be done to other crime shows such a beyond the tape or crime watch? Although Breaking Barriers was centered around crime, it focused on politics and government issues. I hope it was not government officials that did this to shut him up.

It's a pity that anyone who speaks out about such matters is eventually silenced by threats of aggression and violence. Someone must be hiding something and is apparently willing to go to any lengths to keep it hidden. I can't imagine the fear he and his loved ones must be facing.

I used to watch his show off and on. He always had these creative expressions tHatS for sure lol.

With that said, this place is slowly becoming a Mexico where corruption=power and crime=dictatorship. I wonder the same as Shadowhunter if similar will happen to the other shows.

I never watched the show, but this is getting ridiculous! First the woman...can't remember her name...now this guy? Police need to cut this off now, before more people start doing it to get their way!

While more and more people giving in to these threats may set examples of just how much power these criminals hold over anyone they choose, the sad fact is not much else can be done. Our justice system and those with the authority to do something about such matters are only here for style when it comes to times like this. I wouldn't doubt if some of those authorities are intentionally slacking off or coming up with no answers and brushing cases aside as quickly as possible because:

a). avoiding paperwork

b). they're a part of the same corruption and risk being caught themselves

I never watched the show, but this is getting ridiculous! First the woman...can't remember her name...now this guy? Police need to cut this off now, before more people start doing it to get their way!

Police? the police in them back pocket!

In some reports they are saying government officials hired people from the drug trade to kill him and his family. Wtf going on here??
Clearly we not stupid! Government officials clearly know all the big criminals in this country and what's passing in and out of our boarders.

I heard also he got paid off by an unknown source of 6million to quit his own show on IBN and he took it fearing for the safety of himself & family. I think he was too deep in something and the government wanted him dead. Lucky he actually got a choice eh ? People like Dana wasn't even given a choice

I heard also he got paid off by an unknown source of 6million to quit his own show on IBN and he took it fearing for the safety of himself & family. I think he was too deep in something and the government wanted him dead. Lucky he actually got a choice eh ? People like Dana wasn't even given a choice

You say that without actually knowing the reasons behind it. Danas case was linked to something much different but with the way in which corruption occurs locally its never possible to actually know the truth and the reasons behind the various choices and actions.
I kinda feel like grand theft auto is real now...

You say that without actually knowing the reasons behind it. Danas case was linked to something much different but with the way in which corruption occurs locally its never possible to actually know the truth and the reasons behind the various choices and actions.
I kinda feel like grand theft auto is real now...

For all we know it could have been based on the creators' experiences in Trinidad self. The world will never know......

I'm hesitant to assume anything about anyone in these positions because I've met too many people who seemed like genuinely honest and sincere people only to eventually discover that everything they were about was based on corruption or continued to be so. Even for the honest folks out there, these days you have to wonder about who you're coming into contact with, who they might be in contact with, and so on and so forth.

I don't want to know the reasons behind it. The man said he found out that government officials were linked to the drug trade which we all know. For a big rich popular man to be paid off ONLY 6 million to cut his show - he had to be in something deep.

Ahhh interesting point. That didn't cross my mind at all. I guess the statement could have also been a bluff for some deeper business arrangements if getting to this point (ending the show) was intended to avoid stepping on certain people's toes.

Back