Boxee Media Center

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

Wyspa

LV

Hey guys, a few weeks ago I brought you XBMC (Xbox Medai Center). A free open-source media center application that a good replacement to Windows Media Center. Now I'm back with another alternative...Boxee. Its also and open source Media center that can be a replacement to the Windows product. The underlying technology of Boxee is based on the XBMC project, so those who use XBMC should have no problem understanding Boxee. There are however differences between the two software. The GUI (graphical user interface) is different and much more organized and welcoming. Boxee has social networking features that XBMC does not have. To use Boxee you have to go to the site http://www.boxee.tv, register for a free account, then download the software. Install. thats it. When you run the app, it will ask you to log in. Just enter your username and password that you registered with. It logs in and your ready. You can add other Boxee users as friends and see what they've watched or listened to. Or even watch what they're watching. It lets you recommend videos or music to you friends etc. It uses plugin and scripts like XBMC to extend its capabilities. It has applications for premium content like Netflix or free content that you can watch. e.g. shows from CBS, NBC, SyFy (formally Sci-Fi) youtube etc. all in a very clean graphical user interface. I must state that Boxee is still in its Alpha stage. While alot of the features are working there are some that won't work. Some plugins might not work properly. So if you download and use Boxee, you'll be doing some trial and error. Its not a finished product, it's not even in beta stage yet, but it's fully functional. So if you have some tech knowledge and would like to be part of testing the software you can download it and give it a spin. Be sure to search for me and add as a friend. :hiya:

Back