Best Midnight Snacks

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

Shadowhunter

LV

I sometimes (okay, a lot of times) wake up in the middle of the night to refuel. I usually head straight for something with sugar and/or carbs and my gremlin food brain takes over until I'm satisfied enough to go back to bed.

What are your top midnight snacks?

I woke up with an insatiable craving for doughnuts and tacos. I'm not supposed to eat doughnuts but I can tweak tacos to make it safe. The food gremlin brain needs more ideas for next time.

Hanukkah_doughnuts.jpg

chicken-ranch-tacos-1-23-10_edited-1.jpg

[Vaguely put sources: Google images, first page. Because the food gremlin brain only cares about food. Not sources. Unless it's a source for food that can be immediately received and consumed at odd hours.]

Personally I too suffer from this when I am doing any brain intensive mental tasks.

I love to eat chicken vienna sausage with hops bread. This is a combo that is extremely filling and takes less than 5 minutes to make.

Cereal and Milk - sometimes its the only thing thats available so it works lol... whatever tames the monster.

I absolutely love your midnight snacks ! I swear my belly turns Italian..I don't necessarily crave snacks but heavy food :(

I usually make a Fast Egg Drop Soup . Looks like this
Egg-Drop-Soup-Revised-1.jpg

I also make a quick shrimp scampi when i'm feeling so something solid

Shrimp+Scampi+500.jpg

Then when i'm not in a mood i usually make

fast chicken alfredo
Omelet
Or cereal and milk lmaoo

Lol I normally don't eat very late in the night but if I do it's probably red velvet cake if I have lol

Crix with a tall glass of water at room temperature. It's fulling until lunch time the other morning and I don't really mind the taste. Sometimes I add some grated cheese with ketchup and pepper sauce then microwaving it for 25 seconds. Pretty cool snack.

OMG this was supposed to help, not make me hungrier! lol I had egg drop soup today actually lol

My cereal go-to is frosted flakes (because sugar!) and soy milk

I just ate kiss cake and Bobbies and I feel terrible. Also guilty. Like a tiny bit. But the gremlin has been fed.

LadyD I love your ideas and I'm gonna remember omelet, but I am not waking up in the middle of the night to cook an alfredo! Gremlin better chill. The rules of ignoring allergies include instant. When it takes long I remember why I'm not supposed to do it and guilt wins out. (Also laziness. Like a tiny bit. Or a lot. Maybe.)

I haven't had chicken vienna sausage in a really long time. Like a month or something. Must have more!

Crix pizza!!!!! I remember those days lol I actually haven't tried to satiate the monster with something salty. I will try salty another night. Right now the food gremlin brain wants more chocolate.

Grim, you keep red velvet cake on hand for midnight feeding????? All the time????

LOL Grim living high up yes. He keeping Red Velvet on special for when he gets hungry in a little fridge nearby.

I want to try the egg drop soup, anyone got a recipe?

lol had a point in time i used to do it shadow ahaha but i change it up i normally will eat bread and cheese these days

Red velvet yes ! Man having a romantic night by himself LOL

i will try the crix in the microwave thing !

Oh and HOT CHOCOLATE is the bomb with crix and cheese :D

Red velvet yes ! Man having a romantic night by himself LOL

i will try the crix in the microwave thing !

Oh and HOT CHOCOLATE is the bomb with crix and cheese :D

hahaha sometimes ah man ha treat himself to something good lol
and maybe some run n rasin ice cream lol

I want to try the egg drop soup, anyone got a recipe?

I make my own chicken and veggie stock and keep it in the freezer, already seasoned so from me:

Egg Drop Soup

2-3 cups of stock
1 cup of water (optional)
as much veggies as you like (I use about 2-3 cups of frozen peas, carrots, corn etc)
1-2 beaten eggs

1. Combine first 3 ingredients (i.e. dump in a pot, mix to combine). Stir in beaten egg, preferably with a chopstick.

2. The end. EAT ALL THE SOUP!

Note: Sometimes I'll add finely chopped cabbage, chicken breast, broccoli, etc. but the above is the quick and easy version and my go-to. If you like the soup with a gel like consistency, add in a starch, like a potato starch or corn starch until it thickens to your liking. Also, if you're a veggie hater, the veggies can be omitted entirely and made with only the stock and egg. If you're using unseasoned stock, add in whatever seasoning you like eg. salt, black pepper, soy sauce, hot pepper etc.

Here is what i call the "lazy, trini , tasty version " lmao

- Measure the bowl you want to put the soup in and then throw the water in the pot
- Add 1 packet of Maggi Chicken Season Up or 2 Bouillon Chicken Cubes to the hot water
- Mix 1 tablespoon of Corn Starch to a little bit of pipe water and then throw it in the pot . Corn starch must never be added directly to the hot water because it will turn like crystals and never melt.
- Add a dash of black pepper to taste
- Add a dash of sesame oil to taste
- Add a dash of rice wine to tase (optional) You can get this at any grocery store usually where the Asian Section- peanut oil, soy sauce etc. are .
- Add about 1 tablespoon of grated or chopped garlic
- Add 1 quarter to a half teaspoon of ginger .
- 1 Chopped Pimento for flavour
- Add canned peas, corn, carrot (anything you like at this point)
- You can add cooked shredded or chopped chicken. I usually don't include this .( Leftover baked , steamed or rotisserie chicken will work to)
- Turn the heat on low & Mix in one or two beaten eggs depending on how thick you would like the soup. The trick is to slowly add the eggs and with a fork or whisk, stir the soup as you add to make the soup smooth.
- After turn back the heat on high and let it boil for about 2 mins to cook the egg.
- Lastly add chopped chives & (shadow benny/ culantro about 1-2 leaves for flavour OPTIONAL)

Please excuse the bowl. It was 1 am in the morning lmao

Attachments

• 2015-05-04 20.10.52.jpg
    2015-05-04 20.10.52.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 26
I going to try this! I wished I saw this earlier because I went in the grocery and remembered to buy peanut oil for dressing the exterior plastics on these new, cheaply made, unpainted motor car and them.

Please post a pic if you all are trying it :D

Made Mash potatoes tonight and ate that for a midnight snack.. Taste soo good

Back