Bad Experience Thread

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

nirtime

LV

Having witnessed some horrible things in my time like seeing cars run off the highway and roll over to hearing stories about mechanics and other people crashing cars that didn't belong to them I decided to start this thread.

I have personally heard stories about mechanics writing off people's cars that were in excellent condition when taking the cars for a "test drive". Some of these cars were then straightened, cut and shut. This is an improper repair and even after repair those cars will never ever be the same again.

I personally went to inspect an old Nissan 120Y for a friend who was very eager to purchase this car from a shop where the owner was rebuilding the engine. As soon as I walked in and saw the car I said no.

With the engine out I clearly saw hammer marks on the chassis rails indicative of straightening. The entire front of the car was bent, the firewall had tons and tons of filler to hide creases and other imperfections. The fenders were plated and then welded in place. It reminded me of a cut and shut. The cowl to the base of the windshield was severely bent and filled. Despite being painted I know my way around "tricks of the trade" and an "on point" paint job was not enough to hide the truth from me. I was very dismayed to understand that somebody would repair a car that seemed to have been potentially written off. The back of the car sounded hollow as prior to painting the quarter panels were fillered.
I could not believe that someone was actually serious about selling a car like that. Even after straightening, the creases and deformation of the chassis rails clearly showed evidence of a major frontal impact no doubt from a major accident and this would never be safe in the event of another accident.

It is for that reason I do not trust shops who install or mechanics. Some of them do very improper work and then hide it assuming no one will ever see it. I prefer to do everything myself because of the stories I have heard. In doing so I have never once encountered any major issues and I know that the job was actually performed.

To me it is never short of amusing to know what "pros" do for a repair sometimes.

What are some stories you have to tell about bad automotive experiences?

There is an auto shop somewhere around Poole that rips people off. I know two drivers that went to check up minor things and spent a lot of money on things they were told were necessary (one "problem" after the next) before they got fed up. One sold the car as fixes began adding up in thousands upon thousands of dollars, I'm not sure what the other driver ended up doing. It seems as though they prey on people that are evidently clueless about vehicle maintenance etc to exaggerate minor or non-existing problems in addition to overcharging them on items needed for these "fixes". The next time I pass through that area I'll get the name of the shop but I remember it standing out as a bright pink flat building some years ago.

Back