Are We Expected To Riot?

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
LV

Awards
Speaking at the 2016 High-Level Caribbean Forum hosted by the Government and the International Monetary Fund at the Hyatt Regency Hotel, Port-of-Spain, Imbert said since previous increases did not cause a riot, he might increase it again.

“I increased the price of fuel by 15 percent and then realized that was not enough. I came back again in April and raised it by another 15 percent and I came back again just a few weeks ago and raised it by another 15 percent. They haven't rioted yet," he said with a laugh.

Imbert apologizes for riot comment

Colm Imbert has apologised for comments he made last week regarding the increase of fuel prices in Trinidad and Tobago.

Speaking in Parliament on Wednesday during the motion to confirm the provision for the collection of taxes standing order 2016, the Finance Minister apologised to the nation.

"There was a conference in Trinidad and Tobago last week designed to deal with challenges facing Trinidad and Tobago and economies of the Caribbean and during that conference I made certain statements and on reflection and having reviewed and looked at the comments I made and the manner in which I made them I realised this would have upset a lot of people so therefore I take this opportunity to unreservedly apologise to all affected," he said to loud thumping.

Speaking at the 2016 High-Level Caribbean Forum hosted by the Government and the International Monetary Fund at the Hyatt Regency Hotel, Port-of-Spain last week, Imbert
said since previous increases did not cause a riot, he might increase it again.

“I increased the price of fuel by 15 percent and then realised that was not enough. I came back again in April and raised it by another 15 percent and I came back again just a few weeks ago and raised it by another 15 percent. They haven't rioted yet," he said with a laugh.

http://www.looptt.com/content/imbert-apologises-riot-comment

Back