Are Movie Ratings Accurate?

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

Shadowhunter

LV

People everywhere are buzzing about Jurassic World, but it's not all positive talk. Many parents are calling out Jurassic World for what they believe is an inaccurate rating. All of the Jurassic Park movies, including this latest installment, has been rated PG-13.

My understanding of PG-13 has been that parents screen first and then provide "Parental Guidance" by watching with children under 13 to guide them (or cover their eyes and ears) through parts that may or may not be appropriate at their own discretion. I think if you've seen the trailers, previous movies, and expect something that is trying to look remotely realistic when it comes to dinosaurs (mostly depicted as giant terribly fearsome and brutally violent, ruthless, merciless predators) you should be wary of who you are exposing to this anyway. Regardless, a lot of kids are hyped up on dinosaurs, and many may have been excited for Jurassic World specifically so it's not surprising that children want to see this movie nor that they have been taken to theaters to see the latest installment of this stellar series.

I've only seen the first 3 and haven't seen the latest installment, but judging from the previous movies, I'm gonna venture a few guesses as to what you're getting:
  • depictions of animals and humans being violently ripped apart and eaten by large animals with weaponized teeth, tails, bodies, and claws.
  • graphic injuries and body parts torn, ripped, and/or chewed off and shown on screen.
  • large predators trying to claw open, bite apart, and eat their prey alive, which includes attempts on human children.
  • startling "jump" scenes involving predators trying to attack human prey
  • a partly undressed scene between two adults (that children may view as parental)
  • a sexually objectified character that was depicted as such throughout an entire film
  • sexual tension displayed between characters (that may be viewed as parental)

Based on reviews such as those in the link placed above, this installment is even more graphic than the others and has been described by some as "too scary" for young children.

Are movies rated appropriately today?

Here are the current different possible movie ratings from Wikipedia:

Rating symbolMeaning

G ? General AudiencesAll ages admitted. Nothing that would offend parents for viewing by children.

PG ? Parental Guidance SuggestedSome material may not be suitable for children. Parents urged to give "parental guidance". May contain some material parents might not like for their young children.

PG-13 ? Parents Strongly CautionedSome material may be inappropriate for children under 13. Parents are urged to be cautious. Some material may be inappropriate for pre-teenagers.

R ? RestrictedUnder 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian. Contains some adult material. Parents are urged to learn more about the film before taking their young children with them.

NC-17 ? Adults OnlyNo One 17 and Under Admitted. Clearly adult. Children are not admitted.

Here are some examples of movies rated accordingly:

G (General Audience/All ages)
Island of Lemurs: Madagascar
Rio (1 and 2)
Cars (1 and 2)
The Lion King
The Tale of Despereaux
The Muppets
Mr. Bean's Holiday
Planet of the Apes
511767_1281346001562_full.jpg

PG (Parental Guidance Suggested/some material not suitable for children)
Star Wars (Episode 1 and Return of the Jedi)
Shrek
Gremlins
Jaws
Indiana Jones: Temple of Doom
Poltergeist
6967a0f6506451cd4be4e1629c97aa77.jpg

PG-13 (Parental Guidance Strongly Cautioned/some material inappropriate for children under 13)
Jurassic Park
Transformers
The Twilight Saga
Meet The Fockers
Bruce Almighty
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
Pearl Harbor
tumblr_lhzcmxCasz1qcim2co1_500.jpg

R (Restricted/Under 17 requires parent or adult guardian)
Schindler's List
Let's Be Cops
Tammy
American Pie
The Last Samurai
American Sniper
The Hangover
American-Pie.jpg

NC-17 (Adults Only/No one under 17 admitted)
Showgirls
Descent
Blue is The Warmest
Blue Valentine
A Serbian Film
the-descent-sarah1.jpg

*Taking a leaf out of the official movie rating system, this post is rated PG. I would give it an R but I don't make the rules.

Most of the times they are lol it's just sometimes the perception that ppl will think the rating means does not live up to what they expected

To me movie rating are everything , I would not even watch a movie under a rating of 6 seriously . I use ratings to give me the best decisions so I would not have to stop watching close to the end because it shit.

hahaha I know the feeling and feel the precious moment you wasted eat at you lmao

Back